Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Reading" Electrical/Electronics Circuits Skills

Status
Not open for further replies.

devonsc

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
electronics for you circuits

Hi All,

Appreciate if you guys are willing to share some opinions or advice on the following:

If I were to polish up my understanding / knowledge on "reading an electrical or electronics circuit", where should I start?

Thanks a lot in advance.

video reading electrical

Electronics is not something you just read about.It's something you do.You can never really understand electronics by reading about it or by modeling circuits on a computer.Electronics is the art of creating useful devices from a pile of components.It's true that you need to understand electronics theory, but to get the most out of electronics you also need to understand circuit construction, testing and troubleshooting.

I don't have these books and neither I have read them, but I think they would be very good.

1) Beginner's guide to Reading Schematic / by Robert J.Traister

2) Troubleshooting and Repairing Consumer Electronics without a Schematic / by HomerL.Davidson

About book#1, I think this one would be good, because mostly we found books on the theory of electronics, but this one would teach how to read schematics.

About book#2, I think this book is good, because if a schematic of a circuit is missing and still we want to troubleshoot the circuit and want to fix it as soon as we can.We would only be looking at the Printed Circuit Board(PCB) and there would be lots of components already placed, most of the time during troubleshooting we look first to the schematic and then try to solve problem, but this book I think would try to enhance the skills for trouble shooting just by looking at PCB.

Doing electronics pratically is the best way of learning electronics and you also get the hands-on-experience.

Distance Education Material is also very good on learning about Electronics, they are very better than ordinary books on Electronics.As because in Distance Education Program, they know that there students are at a remote place from the teacher and they know it's not possible to help students easily which are very far, so they design their books and reading materials in such a way, that student can very easily find solutions to problem within the course material, where as if a student is reading some topic from any ordinary book, if he get stuck or he has some questions or queries, he will have to ask from somebody else.

Video lectures are also very good on learning about Electronics.Long ago, I purchased 5 VCR cassettes from UCANDO.There were about Semiconductors,Power Supplies,Amplifiers,Oscillators and AM Radio.They were very well effective in studing those topics instead of reading about them from a book.

These video lectures are on Electronic from Massachusetts Institute of Technology and are free of cost.
**broken link removed**

Video lectures series of 36hrs on Microprocessor and Microcontroller are available from centre of Educational Technology, IIT Kharagpur.( Long ago, I have seen that website, it had good material, but I forget to write down the web address of it.)

These are the video trainning program made for Industries.I think this will also be good.

Video trainning in Industrial sector from
Industrial Text and Video Co.
The Leader in Electrical,Motor control and PLCs
www.industrialtext.com

Books for Engineers collections from Intel also seems very good.

http://www.intel.com/intelpress/engineering-series.htm

Engineering Case Studies are very good.Although they might not be in pure electronics, they may contains stuff from other disciplines too, but they are very good to enhance the thinking capability.These are solve cases, reading about them are like solving a puzzle or playing a kind of detective computer game, in which you have been given the real data, the symptoms to the problem and their answers at the end, but by solving them you can actually learn as how to find problems to solutions.As how engineers/researchers/scientists at that time had solve those problems, so you are given the chance too and you have to think by looking at the data as where the problem really lies.

I have a very good example on the importance of Engineering cases.I have set this example for you as if you might not have good understanding as what enginnering cases are like and what their importance could be for engineers.Just for to explain the importance of enginnering cases, I have picked up this one from Mechanical discipline.(Please forgive me, for moving away from the topic of electronics)

OOPS! BIGGER IS NOT SMARTER
Prepared by G. Kardos

Unfortunaltly someone's car get into the water.

**broken link removed**

He called the POLICE for help

**broken link removed**

The car is now out of the water.

**broken link removed**

DAMN!!!!(Both the truck and car is in water now)

**broken link removed**

Now they have to remove both car and the truck.

**broken link removed**

It's now time for the JUMBO truck.

**broken link removed**

Truck has no problem in picking up that small car.

**broken link removed**

Truck is getting out of the water.

**broken link removed**

Still struggling.

**broken link removed**

Now both have gone in the water.

**broken link removed**

Now the problem of this solution is to be found, as the truck was in no comparision difficult to move the vehicle and the other truck out of the water.The people were not aware of mechanics very well.The result of this is that now both trucks are in water.Like the same way, there are so many real enginnering cases that had been solve, problems that even have roots in electronics too.As this one is an electronic forum, so I would talk only about electronic only.

Enginnering cases:
============

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.