Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need to control a vibration motor control from a 5V TTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjak

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Vibration motor control

I want to control a small vibration motor from a 5V TTL level. The motor should run on a separate 3.7V supply, which is able to handle the load. (The control signal is either 0 or 5V, never in between but maybe PWM modulated.)

What is the best/easiest way to accomplish this?

Will a standard NPN transistor allow control of a lesser voltage (3.7V) with a higher voltage (5V) signal (and maybe a suitable resistor) or is there an advantage in using another approach (another transistor type perhaps, MOSFET?)?

Help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Thomas

Re: Vibration motor control

A NPN transistor with a suitable base resistance should do for a low power motor, if you want to control its current directly with a TTL level PWM signal. I don't see any advantage of a MOSFET over a BJT in this kind of application.

Another (and more expensive) approach would be using a driver IC.

Regards

Thanks for answering.

I was thinking that it could be a problem with more voltage on the base than on the collector of a BJT (mostly because I haven't really come across that situation before).

If BJT does the trick, I'll certainly leave it that. The motor is quite small but the 5V supply still cannot drive it because of current constraints.

Thomas

tjak said:
Thanks for answering.

I was thinking that it could be a problem with more voltage on the base than on the collector of a BJT (mostly because I haven't really come across that situation before).

The voltage should drop across the base resistance. And Vb should be approx. 0.4V (or more) greater than Vc in a saturated NPN transistor, so that isn't a problem since you're using on-off control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back