Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is verification IP and how is it different from ASIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alam.tauqueer

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is verification IP

Hi

Can anyone tell me what is the verification IP and how its verification is different from the normal ASIC verification.

Regards
Tauqueer

what is verification IP

As u know, its possible to develop RTL and verification independently using the same specification. If a company, speciliazing in verification, develops a verification environment with the data generator, monitor, score board and other components, its possible to use this by any other company, which are developing RTL.

This kind of verification environment development which are specific to the standard are called verification IPs.

In a ASIC verification process, these IPs are used.
Its also possible to develop verification environments with the RTL already in place.

Hope i've been clear. If any mistakes are there, comments are welcome

what is verification IP

Thanks Sree, it is very much clear to me now ,I have one doubt thats

if a company developing a VIP they must be doing verification of those IP.Can you please tell me what is difference between the verification of a VIP and ASIC which used this VIP?

what is verification IP

My understanding is, the same VIP, can be used as a master and a slave(if its used to generate txns, a master and a slave is one which receives txns and processes them).

Two instances of a VIP, one acting as a master and another as a slave, are able to execute a transaction, we'll say that the VIP is functioning properly. This is one way to check the VIP.

Another way would be to use assertions/monitors for the protocol and verify if the signals are transitioning properly.

Even after all these checkings, its quite possible that the VIP will have a bug and they r reported duly to the company and the VIPs are periodically updated. This is as far as my knowledge goes. Corrections are welcome

what is verification IP

There is not much difference when verifying the ASIC also, we'd plug in the ASIC as a master and configure VIP as a slave and vice versa to verify the ASIC.

Incase of VIP, as i said before, two instances are used in place of ASIC

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: what is verification IP

Guys please let me explain with an example.
In my last design the on Chip system bus is AXI and we have to create a Enviroment for the design , where the video processor takes command from CPU ( say ARM ),so that Video Processor has Slave and We should give a command from
master . so we have to create a VIP ( master/slave busmodel) where the master
gives the Instruction to Video Processor . and on the other side of Video Processor
has AXI Master and it has to write on AXI memory slave.so these AXI master and Slave models are VIP's which may be Synthesisable

what is verification IP

So it is similar to the verificatio on ASIC , like we can verify our VIP by using two VIP one should act as master and others should act as slave and for verification we do some transaction which follow the protocol.

Thanks
Regards,
tauqueer

As u know, its possible to develop RTL and verification independently using the same specification. If a company, speciliazing in verification, develops a verification environment with the data generator, monitor, score board and other components, its possible to use this by any other company, which are developing RTL.

This kind of verification environment development which are specific to the standard are called verification IPs.

In a ASIC verification process, these IPs are used.
Its also possible to develop verification environments with the RTL already in place.

Hope i've been clear. If any mistakes are there, comments are welcome

i have a very basic question, what is a IP ?? why we need it?

Now cadence or mentor will provide VIP (HDMI,AXI,SPI.......) for you to verify your IP more efficiently, this VIP usually are written with SV or E!

Hi

Can anyone tell me what is the verification IP and how its verification is different from the normal ASIC verification.

Regards
Tauqueer

Hi Tauqueer

This is a good question, Im sure the answers to this would be of interest to the members of my Linked In group - ASIC Verification SIG - also they may be able to help answer similar questions, feel free to join us and ask away, we are here to help.

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/ASIC-Verification-SIG-4394882?gid=4394882&trk=hb_side_g

We look forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,

Clare

ASIC Verification SIG Creator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back