Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Standard Cell ASIC production costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kishore2k4

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
0.13u wafer diameter tsmc

What are the typical production costs for 20mm2 die 0.13u/0.12u process@5K units. The only prices I found are for a prototype volume of 25 dies at CMP. It costs around 2200 euros/mm2 for the above process.

What kind of production volume is needed to reduce the unit cost to less than $25 excluding NRE and prototyping. The packaging can be (x)QFP or BGA.

Also if anyone has information regarding general prices of Structured ASICs please let me know.

Thank You.

A 'processed 0.13u wafer' at a pure-play foundry (TSMC, SMIC, Chartered) runs "approximately" $3000 (8" diameter wafer.) Process options (polysi, e-DRAM, embedded flash, # metal-layers, etc.) affect the price +/- 50%.

From here, you can estimate per-unit/cost:
8" wafer = 200mm diameter wafer = ~31415mm2 total area
(Not all of the total-area is usable)

30000mm2 / (20 mm2) = ~1500 dice per wafer (best-case, 100% yield)

Estimated raw per-die cost = $3000 / 1500 = $2/die (100% yield)

Packaging & testing add another, I don't know, let's say $1/die?

Estimated KGD (known good die) = 1500 * 80% = 1200

Final estimate:

Estimated KGD cost = (30000mm2 / 1200) + $1 = $2.5/die

---------

Now then, your question revolves around "how many wafers do I need to order to qualify for $3000/wafer pricing?" That's dependent on your choice of foundry.

kishore2k4

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks. Your post is very informative. What about set-up costs for masks and stuff? From my minuscle requirement of 5-10K units (4-8 wafers with 80% yield) I think the wafer cost can go up 5-10 times and the cost will still be under $25. Any idea?

What about set-up costs for masks and stuff? From my minuscle requirement of 5-10K units (4-8 wafers with 80% yield) I think the wafer cost can go up 5-10 times and the cost will still be under $25. Any idea?

TSMC's mask-shop charges in the range of $400,000 for a full 0.13u mask order. (Exact pricing is dependent on processing options, # layers, etc.) That's quite a discount from the introductory pricing of $700,000 a few years back.

There are a few things to consider:

1) I think TSMC has a minimum order of 25 wafers (1 lot.)

2) TSMC regularly turns away customers which aren't a good fit for their business model. (I.e., customers who are likely to place only one order, then go away for a while.)

The order quantities we've discussed fall below TSMC's requirements for a
direct-account. In other words, you'd probably have to place your order with one of TSMC's alliance partners, or a "turn-key" service (such as www.esilicon.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back