Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pre amplifier in the comparator

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanmei

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI,

for design the comparator, usually add a pre-amplifer to amplife the input signal to speed up the comparator. the comparator in the figure is a wide-spread one, but how to add a pre-amplifer to the compatator, here i will use it in the pipeline adc , the comparator will judge the +/- (Vref/4). Can I add a pre-amplifier directly to the inputs of the comparator, or some other circuit is useful. any useful paper?
Thank you.[/youtube][/url]

Hi guy
plz refer to Allen's book "CMOS analog integrated circuit design" chapter 8 ,there is detail explanation about this comparator.

B.R.

Hi
if u add a preamp before ur comparator, the threshold voltage no longer determined by the backend comparator, but determined by the pre-amp.
so u must set the threshold of ur pre-amp at VREF/4. :D this is my opinion !

B.R.

shanmei

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Preamp alse decrease the random offset of comparator,I think

One possible suggestion on this is to split reference subtraction and positive-feedback slicer.

If you use a cell to do reference subtraction, and then restore full-logic level of the subtracted signal. Between them, you can do pre-amplification of the residue.

chenjia said:
Preamp alse decrease the random offset of comparator,I think

You are right, so you must also use offset cancelattion technics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back