Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which university has a solid background for Analog IC desigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Which university has a solid background for Analog IC de

All good reasons, ideas,

In my opinion, you might ask yourself that you really want to be an Analog IC design because you like it and your nature or talent tell you that it is your profession then go for it. Don't be money driven, otherwise ther will be a big mistake.

If you decide to go with Analog design and you are currently working at an Analog design firm, there is no need to go to school for a MS or PhD unless you really want the degree. I myself go to a local school for a MS in IC design just for the degree not the "techniques" that are obsolete. However, I can "steal" course notes and lectures, labs from some well-known professors from UC-Berkely, Stanford, MIT, etc. for my extra experience and knowledge. You can find tons of these on the internet legally.

If you are a new grads, and there is no job offer, or employed but not an Analog Geek, and want to go to Analog design just for getting the job. Then it is definitely wrong, please carefully think about it.

In short, now aday one can learn from many sources expecially from the internet. Good school can not guarantee one a good career, thus learn by yourself motivate instead, and save money by not to go to these schools unless they are in your hometown. In this case, no question ask, just go for it.

:oops:

I'm planning to take two courses in Analog RFIC design at "University of south florida, USF".
Will it be a good choice?
I will take the courses without seeking a master degree

Please need your advice

regards

ayhz2002

It all depends on where you are in this world. If you are working in Multi-National companies (MNC) in the first world...you may not need further studies. What you are working on especially in designing Analog/RF stuff is really the state of the art...with further modification/improvement of the architecture

On the other hand, if you are working in MNC in the third world especially Asia you are merely doing part of the work that is kind of leftover of the real design work...

T Zul

i think berkely,stanford are good but i am not successful to go to

SO hot discussion topic.
From my opion, several other univeristies are good enough to seek ph.d there, such as UCDavis, Gatech, U. of Washington.

I cann't agree anymore to the idea that MNC's asia branch is only working on the leftover of the real design. Presently I am a engineer in such situation. Our company is ranked in top 10 in semi-industry.

hk2004,

That is if the company is originated I supposed from Hong Kong for example definitely you are controlling your own destiny.

But if the MNC is originated from the other part of the world my statement may hold true.

It all depends what do we mean by MNC. Realistically, MNC was formed to exploit on the low manufacturing cost that exists in the third world.

That is why most of the countries in South East Asia is losing their chunks of the market because there exists a much cheaper resources in China and India.

T Zul

In Turkey, Istanbul Technical University or Middle East Technical University

Most people that I know of who are good in any field are not just good because of their school. It is because of their own effort that they put in. I see people bog down in school ranking assuming they will learn more if it is good. The world has too many technical people and too many problems are yet to be solved. Not all great folks are from Caltech, Stanford and UC Berkeley. You can select a university that has adequate funds in IC design with serious research work and you can still be well respected and renowned in the field. Of course a great university brand would help you in getting job easier. In the end what counts is what you know not where you are from. I happen to work with couple of MIT EE grads, one BS and other Ph. D and I interviewed an MIT MSEE grad and with all three I wondered if they bought their degrees in Boston yard sales. They were a disgrace to their college.

Personally, I think you should check out the professors rather than the universities because you will work with him/her on your thesis. It is like matching; a good match will make your life easier. Check out the researches that the professors are working on that you have great interest in.

Just a personal opinion: a phd in the US means not alot, but it is SUPER in Asia; degree is everything.

I'm working in the wireless RF system networking field and I like to switch to RF IC design field. Is there a way (or school) that I can go part time on RF IC Design courses and eventually be getting a RF IC design job(s) after completing those part time courses. Please show me how... Thanks.

PS: I got an B.S in Physics at UCLA but coming back to shool to get MS in EE IC Design usually requires full time 2 + years study which I can not afford.

UCB, Stanford, and UCLA have the best analog program that you do learn a lot of practical analog design techniques. However, it costs too much to obtain a Ph.D. degree from their programs. I especially weight UCLA over the other two because UCLA also has one of the best practical Microwave program (George tech or Michigan may produce more papers than UCLA at this moment). Professors like Itoh is jsut rare to find in any other schools. Berkeley doesn't have good Microwave programs. You gotta have strong microwave background when you talk about RF CMOS design. UC Santa Barbara is mainly on III-V materials. They have only one good analog design professor. UC San Diego is catching up but still far behind. UC Irvine is mainly for processing. On top of all these, UCLA and UCSB do have largest institute of nano tech (physical location is at UCLA). California government gives $100M fund to this nano institute every year. When you grade schools by asking analog design, I assume you talk about making money. If this is the case, the above 3 schools are the ones you should apply because most of good analog designers or founders of design houses graduated from these 3 schools. For instance, Broadcom is completely built upon UCLA students and faculty member. Atheros is made by Stanford.

david3613 said:
I especially weight UCLA over the other two because UCLA also has one of the best practical Microwave program ........
Berkeley doesn't have good Microwave programs. You gotta have strong microwave background when you talk about RF CMOS design. ...............

Hi,
did u mean for a carrer in RFIC or MMIC design, we should opt for a degree in microwave instead of IC Design? sorry i m a newbie as far as analog design is concerned :oops:

thanks
sawaak

Thank you, David and Sawabb for your time...

To answer Sawabb's question I did mean RF IC design in my topic and I'm a newbie too! so I kind a try to explore all the options on this subject.

....but I like to ask more; David: If I can not go to full time Grad School MS in RF CMOS due to I'm working or/and I'm not qualified to be accepted, are there practical extension courses that those schools currently provide (or somewhere else, say Cal State, or tech training school)? Or even On Line courses? If I chose this path, the potential to get job in this field RF IC Design exists? I mean, I need job now more than a degree (say, after 1-2 year certified as technical in those part time courses, hiring companies could consider that __ including my BS Physics and 7 years in RF wireless telecom experience?).

Thanks again,
N.

I have one year experience of analog ic design when i persued my master degree. but now I am doing some kind of evaluation job. it seems like we ask other company to design chip for us and we evaluate it. I really want to do the analog ic design. so what could I? learn something by myself and after time tell my boss that could I be transferred to other department which is designing the sigma-delta ic? What do you think about the evaluation job? do you think does it help for me to get other aspect of ic design or i just waist my energy if my aim is to design ic.

True .. your professor is more important than your university. Definately universities like

berkeley (Meyer, gray )
stanford (Lee, wooley)
ucla (Abidi and Razavi)

have good programs and most of the professors do good research. But if you are able to find a professor in a middle ranked school and his group has published good papers then thats also as good.

regards
Ram

I think UCB,Geogiatech and UCLA, Stanford is good at analog design. In Europe, KUleuven is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.