Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Baud Rate of Microcontroller UART

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandar Thite

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lpc2103 16mhz baud

Hello everyone,

I am in search of a microcontroller capable of transmitting data at 4 Mbps through its UART.
First of all is it possible to transmit data at such a high rate via UART, if possible can anyone help me selecting a microcontroller.

Thank you.

data sheet ds80c420

hello!

i think that's too high speed to send by UART. i think there is no uC with that speed of sending.

To send with higher speeds, you have to use i2c or spi sending protocols.

good luck

The SiLabs C8051F120 UART1 can use up to SYSCLK/2 for baudrate.
With a SYSCLK of 100 MHz it will thus be 50 Mbd.

Mandar Thite said:
Hello everyone,

I am in search of a microcontroller capable of transmitting data at 4 Mbps through its UART.
First of all is it possible to transmit data at such a high rate via UART, if possible can anyone help me selecting a microcontroller.

Thank you.

I am not answering your question. But, could you think 2 of two possible way?

1) Can you encode the raw data? And then decode at another side?
Encoding and decoding can help to reduce the code size.

2) So far from I know Ethernet can suppport 10 Mbps. UART is not possible.
You need more data pins, so more data can transmitted in one time.

I don't think that speed is feasible in serial transmission without a clock line. And even with a clock line almost everything becomes an issue at that speed.. Can't you parallel out the data over say a 16 bit bus?

4 Mbps is too fast for any microcontroller. Better use FPGA devices for this speed. choose between xilinx or altera fpga. hope this helps

hey i f you really wnt to transmit at this rate why not use i/o pins instead of the uart

Hi guys,

if you think in PIC16 or 8051 it is true, 4 Mb/sec is too fast but if you think in ARM7, it is not. You could use a LPC2103 running at 64 MHz and it would give you you exactly 4 Mbit/s and with the FIFO, you could even use both UARTs at that speed. The distance you can go is rather short and there would be not much else you can do when running two UARTs at 4 Mbit/s.
You can check out information on the LPC2103 at this website
http://www.lpc2000.com or on the NXP website.

Bob

Hi ,

I think its not possible to use UART at such speed .. best option is only USB ...

HI
use Ds80C420 can do it see data sheet for further information
Regards
shakeel

Why can't you just go SPI? A UART is needed for hooking up to a computer, which won't handle anything like 4 Mhz. Don't forget a lot of micros have a clock division, eg: a 16 Mhz PIC is actually executing instrucitions at 4 MHz, no way it can sample 4MHz bitrate 3 times per bit. Plus, the error rates will be through the roof. USB and other high speed protocols use differential signallling for a reason. And if you wan't RS232 line levels. forget it, there is no MAX232 type chip out there that will handle that speed, not the last time I looked anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.