Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the main difference between micro controller and micro processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ednan

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What Is The MAin Difference b/w MicroController and Micro Processer?

PLz Telll Me

Re: wat is The Diff

microcontroller has cpu, parallel i/o bus, memory (both rom and ram) on a single chip.

microprocessor can execute different kind of functions such as additions, subtraction, multiplication, division etc..., but doesn't have everything such as memory and i/o bus on a single chip.

Hi,
Micro Processor with memory and other peripherals is called as a Micro controller.

Micro controller is a combination of processor with memory devices and i/p o/p ports.

As the technology is progressing the two are becoming indistinguishable. PR080 has given a good definition but it isn't true always now. Freescale is now calling all of its microcontrollers (As per PR080's def) as microprocessors.

Thanx ,...but i Need more...

i Need also a feartures of 89c51 Controller

wat is The Diff

You can find it's features in it's datasheet!

hey hi
basically the main difference lies in the fact that a microcontroller contains the memory,input\output, n all other things on a single chip...!

however in case of Microprocessors like 8085,8086 etc these devices have to be connected as peripherals through interefacing techniques...!
Thus a microprocessor is a basic part of a microcontroller.

As my friends have said microcontroller contains processor, input output ports, RAM, etc.
In short it has all the things which are basic and necessary to make a system or we can say using this single chip you can make a basic system.
While in case micro processor its just processor(which is one part of Microcontroller IC). Here you need to interface input/output, RAM etc etc.

to make more clear you need to read the Microcontoller bokk by MAZIDI or AYLA or any standard book. most of Standard book having this difference in the beginning chapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back