Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to protect yourself and the IC from electrostatic charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

tijoseymathew

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Static Charge

I know that static charge kills IC's especially microcontrollers. How much resistance do these chips have ???
And as a hobbyist what is the cheapest and easiest way to protect myself and the IC's from electrostatic charge ???

Re: Static Charge

friend!
the easy way to protect static charge is to ground yourself before touching(holding) IC.(or) By wearing electrostatic wistarp & by placing IC on electrostatic map from computer shopping center.

Static Charge

only MOS ICs are prone to this problem and that is why people in the semiconductor industry ground both their hands by using grounded gloves while working with them...

The old IC ( say older than 10 years ) were very prone to die if touched; the newest IC are static protected, but sometimes happens the same.
The only hobbistic way to protec is to connect the body trough a 1 MOhm resistor to ground and also in the same way all the tools that are used during the assembly ( i.e. soldering iron, light, etc. )
Also be sure to use antistatic tools ( screwdrivers, plyers, etc ) during the work.
To buy them many shops ( one for all RS )

Mandi

Static Charge

thanks for the replies

Is there any home brewing method for protection ??

Static Charge

there are small straps available which are used for our static charge by grounding.... computer technicians generally are supposed to have one which they usually connect to the cabin of the system for grounding.... i guess it will be available in electronics shops...

You can try with a very light spring long about 15 cm wrapped around your wrist, connected in series with a 1 MOhm resistor to ground. the purpose of the resistor is to limitate the amoun of current that passes trough the body during the discharge, if the part that you are touching is charged.

Mandi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back