Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A question about Second-order Sigma-Delta modulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

she_long

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm reading Fernando Medeiro's 'Top Down Design of High performance Sigma-Delta Modulators', in chapter 2.3.1 'Second-order Sigma-Delta modulator'. It confused me about the 2nd SD modulator's transfer function. The pic is the same as the book.

This is my result use the gain g2'=2g1g2, and g1'=g1:
z^-2 *X(z)+(1-z^-1)^2*E(z)/(g1g1)=z^-2*Y(z)+2*z^-1*(1-z^-1)Y(z)+(1-z^-1)^2*Y(z)/(g1g2);
It's different from the function of the book. what's matter with my function?

Dear friend

g1*g2*(z^-2)*X(z) + E(z)*(1-z^-1)^2 = Y(z)*[(1-g1*g2)*(z^-2) - 2*(1-g1*g2)*(z^-1) +1]

So, I think it is supposed that g1*g2 = 1 -> Y(z)=(z^-2)*X(z) + E(z)*(1-z^-1)^2

Best

Yes, if g1*g2 = 1 there comes the function.
I'm wondering how to define the Gains of the modulator. Someone use the way that make (suppose the equation is B.Y(z)=...) B=1 to get the Gains (g1 g1 ...), it's simple for 2nd-order SD modulator, but more complicated for high order modulator. And the Stability is concerned with the Gains. Chapter 2.3.2.1 'Stability considerations' --the stability of 2nd-order modulator of Fig 2.7 is guaranteed if g2'/(g1g2)>1.25. Can anybody explain me the relation of Stability and Gains clearly for 2nd-order and high order ?
Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back