Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF/Microwave Simulation for multilayer and 2-layer PCBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigahertz

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ie3d multilayer

Hello All,

I have a need to optimize performance of RF PCBs and I need some assistance in selecting one or more simulation tools. I have zero experience with EM simulation, so I listed my typical applications below:

1. Optimize S21 for grounded CPW. (CPW with a lower ground plane and a "via fence"). Study effects of changing the via fence to optimize. Obtain a simulated TDR response.

2. Connector transition optimization. SMA, K, and V connector end-launches to planar transmission lines such as grounded CPW and Microstrip.

3. Be able to account for "true plating" that is used in PCBs: copper with added barrier nickel and gold finish

4. Ideally be able to see effects of multi-layers added to an RF substrate. e.g. there will be a single core of high-performance material, then layers of FR4 added for power and dc routes.

5. To be able to simulate "broadband" for digital signals operating from 10GHz to 43GHz.

6. It would be great if a tool could read in a DXF file

Thankfully, my budget isn't a constraint. My company just wants me to find something well suited for PCBs. Thank you in advance to those offering their opinions and insight!

ie3d 2 layers

Thankfully, my budget isn't a constraint
Lucky you...!!!!!!!!!!!
Due to the wide bandwidth I would recommend CST
rather than HFSS. The cost, the last time I ask, was
about $35K to $40K. CSt will give you the TDR response.

also if u want wide band u can check XFDTD , sure also CST is a very good choice it have alot of solvers

HFSS is good also , most of the EDA tools accept the DXF format

khouly

Hi, gigahertz:

You can try IE3D. It is accurate and efficient for multi-layer PCB structures with 3D features such as vias, wire bonds and solder balls. It has an automatic link to Cadence Allegro and APD for PCB and packaging, so that you can build the full-wave EM model directly by selecting the nets of interested on an Allegro or APD net list. The simulations do not slow down with many ports. I am from Zeland (www.zeland.com), producer of IE3D. Regards.

thank you all very much for the responses. IE3D sounds interesting, but I hope it isn't tied completely to Cadence Allegro because that layout program is a nightmare for microwave design. I will look into it though. Also will look into CST. I have a trial of Ansoft HFSS but still going through the learning curve and can't tell yet if it's going to be useful.

Hi, gigahertz:

IE3D is not just tied to Cadence Allegro, it is also tie to any layout tools can output GDSII files. Building a geometry from GDSII on IE3D is quite simple using the AGIF. You are able to automate and streamline the process for even batch simulation of structures in GDSII files. You can go from GDSII file directly into simulaton on IE3D through AGIF. All features such as thick metal, vias, solder balls, wire bonds, and ports can be automatically built from the layer polygons in GDSII on AGIF. Please give it a try. There are examples inside c:\program files\zeland\ie3d\agif. Please check the c:\program files\zeland\ie3d\agif_manual\agif.pdf. Regards,

I am surprised that no one mentioned Ansoft Designer. That would work well for most PCB's and if you also have HFSS you could deal with more complex, arbitrary structures.

Ansoft products can prepare all of your requirements.
They are available for any application and can be linked to each other.
be successful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back