Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using SPI interface for converting audio into digital and back to analogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew257

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am using several devices (ADC, DAC and SRAM) which all use the SPI interface. Now i know i can connect these devices to my FPGA and have the devices all run as slaves and one master(FPGA).

However

from doing some background reading i have noticed with SPI only one slave device at a time can be accessed. For my application i wish to convert audio into digital and then back to analogue. If only one slave is used at a time then how do i produce an output that is uninterupted. Switching between devices will undoubtedly cause a delay.

e.g select ADC, sample audio - at same time i wish to be converting the digital data back into analogue form but i would have to continuosuly keep changing the active slave device.

Can anyone see a possible solution for this?

Thanks

Andy

Re: SPI interface

You can put more than one master into a single FPGA. Create one master for each slave you don't want to switch out. Create one master for all slaves that can share a master.

SPI interface

look at I2S interface, check TI CODEC, SPI usually is using to control device operation not transffer multichannel audio

Re: SPI interface

Hi

I agree that SPI is used for configuration more than using it for data transfer.
you can use the bus for each of the ADC ,DAc and SDRAM for data transfer but of course you will use much more IO's
But you can implement master for each slave at the cost of no of IO's used

Salam
Hossam Alzomor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back