Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to generate a 48 MHz clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

altair_06

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

How to generate a 48 MHz clock from a 100 MHz clock?

Hello!

Use PLL with VCXO and 2 dividers (e.g. by 48 and 100, and compare at 1 MHz with XOR). XOR output -> RC circuit -> Control Input of VCXO.

Regards

Hi,

I am writing a verilog code and i need to generate a 48 MHz clock using any reference clock. Can u give me any suggestions?

altair_06 said:
Hi,

I am writing a verilog code and i need to generate a 48 MHz clock using any reference clock. Can u give me any suggestions?

You mean arbitrary reference clock?

Hi,

I want to generate exact 48 MHz clock. Currently i tried to generate by using delays of 20.84, but i am able to generate 47.98 MHz. Hence i thought of deriving it from a higher frequency clock. I am also not sure what higher frequency to select to derive exact 48 MHz clock.Hope u can give me a suggestion now?

Is this for simulation or synthesis? How much jitter can you tolerate? Which device are you using?

Many FPGAs provide DLLs or PLLs that can synthesize various clock frequencies based upon an input clock. For example, with a Xilinx Spartan-3 FPGA you could configure a DCM (digital clock manager) to multiply your 100 MHz clock by the ratio 12/25.

Hi,

It is for simulation purpose only.
This 48 MHz clock is used as a reference clock by a module to generate various different baud clocks.

You want a delay of 10.4166666... nanoseconds, but your simulator resolution rounds it off? Is that the problem?

Assuming you have picosecond resolution, you could write a clock generator loop that does this forever:
- delay 10.416ns
- toggle the clock
- delay 10.417ns
- toggle the clock
- delay 10.417ns
- toggle the clock

The result will be exactly 48 MHz, with a picosecond of jitter.

altair_06

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
oh, i want to test this method!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back