Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

uC or DSP for induction motor control, what is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltg

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
best dsp for motor control

Hi,

I tried to use a microcontroller to control a induction motor with 1 phase in and three phases out. And I tried to use space vector pwm methode to control the motor, because it is more effeciently. To use space vector pwm methode it requires a microcontroller with center aligned pwm. The traditionally uC are edge aligned pwm. So in my case I need to choice an another uC or DSP. But there are a lot to choice. Could you please recommend me what to choice? uC or DSP and what manufactures? Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
ltg

dsp vs. uc

You can try TMS320F241 (PLCC 68 pins) or ADMCF341 (ANALOG DEVICES). I tried the second solution (ADMCF341) and the results were as I expect - the inverter works perfect.

Motorola DSP56F801 thru DSP56F807 is the best for motion control.
They offer SDK for all peripheral on DSP, and source code for control different motors.
:)

Try ADSP-21992 (ANALOG DEVICES)

You can use a controller,If you need only simple induction motor control.

But you need fast controller or DSP if you want to add some specific control algorithm.

80196 motor control and TMS32024XX family are good choise.

if you dont want to change your hardware at the future, you must
select the DSP instead of controller.

If you use DSP, You can add or remove the modified software without
changing the servo speed. Slow controller may be poblem at the futures.

Hi ltg,
You should use a microcontroller per pwm channel, if there're 3 phases you should use 3 microprocessor as pwm controller and another chip as main processor(it could be uC or dsp). If you try to control both software pwm and motion control algorithms in one micro, the micro will be mad!
Regards.

Hi,

Thanks very much for your suggestions!
ash:
Your suggestion is very interesting but isn't it hard to make software to control uC? 3 phases it means 6 pwm channels which means 6 microcontrollers. Would you please explain more deeper for me? Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
ltg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back