Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dual core CPUs and HFSS, CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

has_ajam

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cst cpu

Can HFSS and CST Support Dual cor CPUs?
Which Versions?

hfss mpi

If I get your question correctly, u mean does dual core cpu support the programs?
If so, the answer is affirmitive. u can use dual core cpu for the simulations.

hfss cpu ram

suppose a cpu is intel 3GHz and single core
another cpu is intel 1.5 GHz and dual core.
all other parts are similar
are they equivalent for HFSS and CST or not?

hfss parallel processing option

make sure you have the correct HFSS license features.

cst cpu support

has_ajam said:
suppose a cpu is intel 3GHz and single core
another cpu is intel 1.5 GHz and dual core.
all other parts are similar
are they equivalent for HFSS and CST or not?

Hi, ajam.
I think it depends on differnet algorithms. For example if the algorithm deals with a lot of data at the same time, of course a dual core cpu (transfering data is doubled with parallel algorithms) is more effective. but if the processing speed is important, of course I suggest the 3GHz instead of 1.5 Ghz.
If you are going to buy, I can ask that for you.
Cheers.

hfss multi-thread

At the EU Microwave Conference last week in Munich I talked to the CST expert.

I asked him, what is the computational speed-up of the transient solver if I have 2 CPUs, each quad core, in comparisom with a single CPU, single core.

He said, something around x2.2. Not more. (he sounded like he knew what he was talking about, he wasn't a salesman)

Any comments?

cst support intel

I do not know all the details, but you are probably better off with a dual core processor. Reason being your computer is always running some applications in the background, so extra core will enable it to dedicata a total power of one processor to HFSS.

Some programs can run on multiple cores, like HFSS, but you would need a special license.
:D

distributed solve hfss

Hi
I think dual core case is faster. Altough you candetermine number of parallel processsors in CST Transient Solver/specials/solver.

hfss multicore sweep

i advice using AMD processor than INTEL in CST package that CST already compatable with AMD processor

cst license parallel

For HFSS:
Using two cores does not make double speed for the solution process.
I does make sense to set it up as a distributed solve. Then the frequency sweep is distributed to the cores, so that it needs half the time.

Anyway you need one solver license for each CPU core. If you have a double core CPU and only one license you can use only one core.
For the distributed solve you need a floating license. It was initially made for solving on several machines in parallel.

cst 2009 on quad core

Hfss can run at list on 4 or 8 cpu if you have the right license.
CST from ver2008 can run per full CPU. so if you have one license. for one dual or quad core CPU it will use them all (2 or 4). and with license for 2CPU like two quad Xeon. It will use the all 8 cores.that what they promise for ver2008 next month delivery of it.

what is the correct way to say central time

Hi all.

In general beware: Threads are not jobs! they run on the same pc with shared memory --> you'll never get the double speed on multi-threaded jobs with multicore processors.

Having a dual-quad etc... core does not mean you divide per 2, 4 your simulation time, simply you charge by half/one forth your proc in the sense that other threads are allowed to be run on the same proc, but CST does not do this automatically. The real advantage you will have when you have more procs (evantually multi-core each), and there CST have a parallelaization license which create 2 (or more) threads to be launched each on a single proc.

As of 2009 version you have MPI,able to exploit cluster pc.

Bye

hfss license

yes
CST and HFSS both are run on dual core CPU .....i already use dual core processor and working on both software i.e. CST and HFSS.

how to speed up hfss

i am confused. some say you should have a special license to exploit all cores in a pc, with HFSS programm, some say you should go to tools/options/hfss_options and just put the number of cores there. Does anyone know what is really the correct of the two?
I have an intel pentium core 2 quad pc and i tried with the second way to take advantadge of all 4 cores. The result on the real time of HFSS wasn't much different and in the task manager the cpu usage percentage didn't change. Do all these mean that i haven't activate all cores for HFSS simulations?

Thank you

cst threads

nasimakis said:
i am confused. some say you should have a special license to exploit all cores in a pc, with HFSS programm, some say you should go to tools/options/hfss_options and just put the number of cores there. Does anyone know what is really the correct of the two?
I have an intel pentium core 2 quad pc and i tried with the second way to take advantadge of all 4 cores. The result on the real time of HFSS wasn't much different and in the task manager the cpu usage percentage didn't change. Do all these mean that i haven't activate all cores for HFSS simulations?

Thank you
You must have a multiprocessor-enabled license to use more than a single core (i.e. one solver thread only no matter how many cores are available). Once you have the proper license, any number of cores (within a single physical machine, i.e. all processors connected to a single motherboard and running a single operating system) can be used by setting the correct number of solver threads to execute.

For your specific case, the correct setting is 4 solver threads, but you need the proper license before this setting has any effect.

cst dual core

i have try CST on CPU's single core 2.6Ghz 1G ram, core2Duo 1G ram, and core2quad 2G ram. i can only experience the difference when the processor is 100% used. Simulation time is less than 1/2 in core2quad compare to core2duo. but you cannot compare the time of simulation on both if they are not processing 100%. my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back