Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CB0703-PCB for "PICkit 2" DIY(Do It Yourself) fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

funnynypd

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pickit 2 pcb

PICkit2 DIY Print Circuit board (PCB):
51_1194908985.jpg

Bare PCB board Cost only US$5; Component kits are also available..

Major features:
Fully compatible with microchip MPLAB IDE
Full speed USB
Enhanced additional power supply for 100 mA
Support full microchip controller family: PIC12F, PIC16F, PIC18F, PIC24, dsPIC, etc.
State of the art surface mount technology
Assembly drawing Provided
6-pin RJ12 ICSP interface.

If interested, please visit the following web site:
LINK REMOVED

Working with MPLAB V7.62:
29_1194909049.jpg

VPP testing:
21_1194909099.jpg

2.5V testing:
56_1194909585.jpg

Enhanced feature such as additional 100 mA power supply.
46_1194909676.jpg

Fully assemblied with Enclosure (in white or black color) also available with life-time warranty.
LINK REMOVED
13_1194909753.jpg

60_1194909780.jpg

Also Visit us for more fun at:
LINK REMOVED

pickit2 pcb

Compare with the newest ICD2 design (with enclosure)
68_1194909981.jpg

pickit2 clone

Celebrate the new release of CB0703 DIY-kit (enhanced version of PICkit 2) from Au Group Electronics.
1. Fully Microchip recommended schematic layout plus enhanced features,
2. enhanced feature: additional (optional) power supply,
3. multiple USB connectors (type B or Mini-B)
4. life-time warranty on fully assembled products.
5. Design covers all recent microchip-posted hardware fixes (same as "the red button type").
6. state-of-the-art SMD technology
:|
bare PCB and SMD components are available for DIY (do it yourself) fans from this link:
LINK REMOVED

Schematic (pdf) and assembly drawing (JPEG) are attached in this post. Assemble guide is added.
(both schematic and PCB layout are based on Microchip "red button type" release)

Fully assembled BB0703(PICkit2) with life-time warranty is available here:
LINK REMOVED

Design has been on full production since sept-2007. For more info, please visit our web site:
LINK REMOVED
The following are some product photos and application software screen-cut.
Funny N. :D

CB0703/PICkit-2 SMD PCB (Surface Mounted Device) (Print Circuit Board), price as low as US$5:
45_1193958038.jpg

Fully assembled CB0703 (PICkit2) (with USB type B connector)
9_1196175321.jpg

Fully assembled CB0703 (PICKit2) (with USB mini-B connector)
78_1197076733.jpg

Here is a comparation between the newest Microchip-ICD2 (left) and CB0703(PICkit2) (right):
31_1193953562.jpg

CB0703 (PICkit 2) system Working with MPLAB V7.62 (highlighted text show the CB0703RevA)
(From MPLAB V7.62 and V8.00, PICKit2 now supports In-Circuit_Debugging.)
90_1193958842.jpg

pk2error0028: unable to enter debug mode

Well I got my PICKit2 prototype working today and here's my notes on it. My version has a fixed VDD (5V) and no clamps (no 3V support). It also avoids using any surface mount components. Mostly common parts but does require a single BS250 MOSFET to control VDD.

Comments
The PICKit2 is faster than a RS232 based ICD2 but not quite as fast as a USB based ICD2 when debugging. Programming it's on par with the ICD2.
The PICKit2 uses the USB HUD mode on windows (so no driver) and seems more bulletproof than my USB ICD2 at not losing its firmware when unplugged while MPLAB is running.
A simple boost converter makes VPP generation simple and reliable.

The only negative comment is only USB power (unless your target has its own power supply)

Debug mode is not quite a reliable as the ICD2, but this most likely can be fixed by a future firmware update.

As a hobby, student programmer / debugger and a cheap replacement of the ICD2 it's a winner in my opinion.

pickit 2 diy

blueroomelectronics said:
The only negative comment is only USB power (unless your target has its own power supply)

Hi, great review.

Is it 100mA bus powered?
Can You see with the attach software?

Thanks

Nuevaimagen.jpg

diy pickit2

The Microchip user manual reports 100 mA max on the usb port though most USB can supply up to 500mA or even larger.

pk2error0024

Problem is unless the USB device asks for more power the USB will shutdown the port at more than about 150ma.

A powered USB hub can supply 500ma.

Second little hiccup, both MPLAB and PICKit2 software fail when trying to burn the ICD2 18F4550 firmware. The ICD2 clone works like a charm. Could be the prototype, hard to tell at this point.

I get this error in MPLAB and it fails during verify.
PK2Error0008 Overlapped I/O operation is in progress

pickit2 lite

Second little hiccup, both MPLAB and PICKit2 software fail when trying to burn the ICD2 18F4550 firmware. The ICD2 clone works like a charm. Could be the prototype, hard to tell at this point.

I get this error in MPLAB and it fails during verify.
PK2Error0008 Overlapped I/O operation is in progress

Yes, definitively looks like a problem in your prototype.
I built 2 PICKIT2 prototypes over the weekend.
The first one worked perfectly from the first power up.
I have already flashed a large quantity of PIC’s 18F4550, 18F2550 and 16F877A, and also used your file, without any problem.
Both prototypes use a MC34063 to step up the 5V USB.
Fisrt one boosts 5V USB to 8 Volts and then back to 5.2 Volts using a 78L05 and a schottky diode.
Then I used a second diode to drop the 5.2 Volts back to 5Volts, to supply PIC2550 and memories.
Those 5.2 Volts are also used in the VDD target generator.
This way I can actually generate 2.5 to 5 volts with less than 50 mV error in the ICSP connector.
Tests were carried out with a 200 ohm resistor in the zif socket therefore creating a 25 mA load at target VDD of 5Volts.
A load/no load condition caused a 5 mV change in target VDD.
Without the step-up I can only go up to 4.8 Volts, due to the presence of D4 on the original schematic.
In the past I had some problems with an original PICKIT2 due to low USB voltages.
In one specific computer I had 4.5 Volts on the front panel, and that caused a lot of programming failures.

I also used trim pots to adjust VDD and VPP to target.
USB current is about 75 mA under loaded conditions.
PICKIT2 Software was tested under WIN ME and XP successfully.

Second prototype is not something you would like to write home about.
This time I used a 220uH coil with a centre tap.
MC34063 is generating 7.5 and 15 Volts.
Those 7.5 Volts are being used to generate 5.2 and 5 Volts as described above.
15 Volts are being feed to an OP AMP with a gain of 8 to generate/regulate VPP, by integrating the PWM signals from RC1 / VPP_PUMP.
It works nicely. It generates and regulates VPP but for some reason it fails bulk erase.
If starting with a blank device, I have no problems, but a non empty chip will not reprogram. I will try to figure this out over the next weekend.

How do you use PICKIT2 under MPLAB?
I cannot select it when using PIC18Fx550 or PIC16F877.

Regards,
Augusto Duro

funnynypd

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
pk2error0008

You must have the latest firmware on the PICKit2 and MPLAB 7.62

Thanks!
I was using 7.60A
I just downloaded and installed 7.62
PICKIK2 works nicely under this version and your file was flashed successfully.
Aduro

funnynypd

pk2error0028 unable to enter debug mode

We also got to understand that, as a matter of fact, ICD2 has been developed for many, many years (More than 10 years probably? Correct me if I am wrong), and it still is not perfectly-well developed. Its hardware is so easy to fail. Before I switched to PICKit 2, I prayed every time when it was downloading a new os for a new chip. The reason I prayed is because I don't want more ICD2 exchange from Microchip even though it is free.

Marketing wide, ICD2 is getting the end of its life cycle.

PICkit 2 is still under its development process and is getting better and better. It used to be a programmer, now it is a debugger + Programmer with the newest MPLAB V7.62. Microchip also provides excellent technology support and did a marvelous job on design improvement.

One thing we shall give the credit to Microchip is: the hardware design and software design are all open (available for free) to the public, kind like the open-source Linux. The end-users like us get lots of benefit on it. This is not available to ICD2 at all.

pickit2 schematic

Well I went out today and bought a real PK2 for testing. It's not an expensive device and yes it programs the test file just fine.

The compatible I wish to design will skip the VDD & clamp. So the 18F2550 and four transistors should do the trick.

I think the flakiness of my original prototype was VDD might be too low. I'll retest on a second prototype and post the results and schematic.

pickit 2 schematic

Well I went out today and bought a real PK2 for testing. It's not an expensive device and yes it programs the test file just fine.

The compatible I wish to design will skip the VDD & clamp. So the 18F2550 and four transistors should do the trick.

I think the flakiness of my original prototype was VDD might be too low. I'll retest on a second prototype and post the results and schematic.

I had problems with some PICs, then I discover that it depends of the USB port that I use, then I discover that VDD is quite low with some USB ports, so I put a +5V external supply and never had problems again :D

You can try to adjust the VDD with the PICkit soft, but if you read the manual, you will find that PIClit 2 can't have a VDD > 4.8V, and some PICs need more, the solution is to power the target PICs externally ;-)

funnynypd

pickit 2 review

folks said:
Hi, great review.

Is it 100mA bus powered?
Can You see with the attach software?

Thanks
Yes it's 100mA bus powered, nice program very handy.

It also should be possible to patch the firmware so it asks for 200mA or 300mA in theory anyway.

The biggest problem with cloning the PK2 is it's so cheap to start with, about $40 retail with USB cable.

My strategy is to bundle a PK2 and the popular Firefly 16F88 Tutor kit on the same PCB.

ds51292

funnynypd, your assertion that the ICD2 is a 10 year old design is just garbage. Microchip wasn't even selling ICD-capable PICs in 1997.

The ICD 1, near as I can tell, was released around 1999 with the PIC16F87x series, which were the first to support in-circuit debugging. It was serial-only, and was developed by a contractor to Microchip as I recall. I also seem to recall it being rather a piece of garbage.

The ICD 2 was released in early 2002, making it a 5-6 year old product. The PICKIT2 was released in the middle of 2005, making it a 2-3 year old product. It only gained debug support last summer (2006), and that was only for one chip.

I realize that your sales depend on the PICKIT2 having a good image, but please stick to the facts if you want to denigrate the ICD2.

funnynypd

pickit2 unable to enter debug mode

Rglenn,
Thanks for correcting me. :D
Actually, I don't know when ICD2 started. This is the reason why I asked people correcting me if I am wrong. I knew I could be wrong anytime, if anyone can correct me, I will accept it.:D

All I remember is (I could be wrong again this time, I personally am not good on time staff), back to the year of 2001, I have been used ICD2 and its demo board for development, this seems denying your "2002". I cannot verify your PICkit 2 time-line either, we will see if someone can verify it.:?:

When you know the answer, you know that you know. When you don't know, please don't pretend that you know. Don't know many things doesn't shame you at all. Once people keep the hard work everyday, they will know many things they don't know today.:D

Also thanks for letting me know that you seem to like "garbage" a lot

I realize that your sales depend on the PICKIT2 having a good image,

True and not true.
First of all, thanks for thinking for us and contributing to this community. Your Enthusiasm will be appreciated.:D

The good design and development for PICkit 2 should be credit back to Microchip crew; they did a great design job and provids very strong support on Microchip forum (there is also lots of PICkit 2 Fans there). If there is a positive image on PICKit2, Microchip crew will be the biggest winner, not us. Our business customers are few DIY fans and people who are open mind to different approaches, not the major business customer. We won't get the big sales, that I am sure. :cry:

For those vendors of ICD2 clones, don't worry about us, we are not interested in the ICD2 clone business.:D

Our goal is to share the common interest and cost with our customer.

Sure it will bring in sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.