Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to implement 3-D Accelerator on FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

honnaraj.t

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
3-D Accelerator on Chip

hi,
i am planning to impliment graphics 3-D Accelerator on FPGA. for my project........ please share your ideas, and give me where will get the infomation.

regards
honnaraj

Re: 3-D Accelerator on Chip

What exactly are looking for? If you dont understand the basics of 3D graphics you probably should consider learning about them.

However if you already do understand them, then your project requirements will determine how you implement those functions.

E

Start gathering your design specs from a graphics pipeline like OpenGL ES. Choose which parts you want to accelerate and how and then make a wrapper around so that it can be used with one of the exsisting Graphics API or write one on your own. Anyways, designing graphic accelerators is time consuming and litlte information is available in the public domain. Also check out specifications of mobile graphics chips and cores that are available, do a search.

honnaraj.t

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

hi,
kishore recently i came to know what all the steps i need to do for the opengl in fpga flat form. but i am not getting what i have to do for queres in the fpga flat form. and i am supporting only for the 2D diagrams...............

3-D Accelerator on Chip

3D graphics is quite a complicated task.

1 You first have to setup a database of triangles for rotation. This is can be done in software.
2 Then you must find the colours on the vertices. a software task

3. The triangles are send to the 3D graphics pipeline. Pixels are calculated and shaded (Flat or Gouraud). You also calculate depth here.

4. Calculate texture maps and wrap triangles

5. Calculate Specular (e.g Phong Shading)..

6. Finally blend everything on the frame buffer using Z (depth) and αlpha(transparency).

Doing all the above tasks right will take A LOT of manmonths...

Status
Not open for further replies.