Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chinese circuit designers (and foundries ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gv1

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Having a close family relationship with China, and being a senior analog designer with over 20 years of experience, I continuously notice the big gap in the chinese IC design industry, and I think it is time that someone takes some serious action, which will benefit the complete chinese electronics industry, and in particular the foundry business.
This action however has to be done right, and for that, I need input from both universities and industry.
If you are involved in any way with electronic design, and would be willing to share ideas, then I would love to hear from you. And, if by any chance someone from SMIC management is on this forum, then I would appreciate to meet in person for a conversation. My email is gvittman@gmail.com

To start this topic, first a few facts, which I obtained from friends, and I would like to hear your opinion about their accuracy:

1. Expectations are that by 2008, 50% of the world IC production will go to China, to be used in assembly

2. Last year, around 10 million electronic engineers graduated from college

3. IC design is a privilege of the bigger, European and US companies, and some small start-ups

I thank you for sharing your ideas.

Regards,
George

10 million EE graduates a year?
you think this is possible?

That was part of my question to you people. This is the number I received from a friend connected to Nanjing university, and I had some doubts myself. That is why I brought it up.

i believe it's possible. statistics say that 1 in every 5 persons is a chinese. another 3 from the five has a chinese blood.

gv, I've been living in Shenzhen for 20 years, Here's my advice, never listen to any official statistics. However, the only thing sure is that China really is a sweatshop. But that doesn't mean China is a all-time good-for-investment country. Now the labor law is revised, that means the labor force will no longer be that cheap as yoy expected, that's why Japanese has came up with the idea of "China plus one", they wanna offset the unexpected additional cost by rightsizing the factories in china and maximize the production by their factories in other south asian countries. As for the jack-of-all-trade students, here's my comment: Show, don't tell!

Who gave you this statistics ? Personely, I dont believe them.

I don't know what is your purpose. do you want to invest in china? or you just want to find a work position in china? If you have nothing just 20 experience in electronic. it is nothing. no way for you.

Arround 5 million univeristy students were graduated this year in China. Say about 5% of them are in electronic engineering, then the newly added electronic engineer are 250K. I think only a small percent of them can really land on electronic design positions.

I am an oversea Chinese and currently have an electronic design business in Xiamen China. Welcome to contact me on email jimyao2@hotmail.com, tel +86 592 5563570 or Fax +86 592 3224282.

Arround 5 million univeristy students were graduated this year in China. Say about 5% of them are in electronic engineering, then the newly added electronic engineer are 250K. I think only a small percent of them can really land on electronic design positions.

I am an oversea Chinese and currently have an electronic design business in Xiamen China. Welcome to contact me on email jimyao2@hotmail.com, tel +86 592 5563570 or Fax +86 592 3224282.

jimyao said:

I am an oversea Chinese and currently have an electronic design business in Xiamen China. Welcome to contact me on email jimyao2(at)hotmail.com, tel +86 592 5563570 or Fax +86 592 3224282.

this makes sense

dqsh06 said:
I don't know what is your purpose. do you want to invest in china? or you just want to find a work position in china? If you have nothing just 20 experience in electronic. it is nothing. no way for you.

the purpose is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back