Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

killed my cccv power supply, possible to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crnaman

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was using the PS to charge batteries and it was connected and charging a battery when it died. I was not home to witness, but there was some bad weather. When I got home it was dead, now it won't turn on, no noise, no fan, no burnt smell either, just nothing. This is a switching power supply. I've opened the case and checked for fuses but didn't find any. Any idea on where to start?

I have a basic knowledge of simple circuits and components.

I've opened the case and checked for fuses but didn't find any. Any idea on where to start?
Insert fuse if u cant find any :D

haha,shud appreciate cadence,taht was an awesome reply.

btw,crnaman,
did you find the fuse?

first, you should take a voltmeter and check the voltage at different point.
Is it a DC/DC power supply or AC/DC ? If it is AC to DC, there should be a bridge, and may be a transformer. Some transformer have built in fuse..., you should check the voltage at the input and output of the transformer.
In switching power supply, there are chemical capacitor, which could die from temperature / or aging... you should check the voltage at the capacitor.
Then there are the switching component.
Last, but not least, there is the control loop, but it is the part that is the least likely to burn out...

Good luck.

PS : be VERY careful , you could kill you....

Status
Not open for further replies.