Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

File/Directory synchronization between Linux & Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

omara007

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I synchronize a file/folder between a PC (windows) and a linux server connecting to it ? .. given that I want the synchronization to occur continuousely or at least I can be able to schedule it.

Re: File/Directory synchronization between Linux & Windo

The only way I know you can use both on one machine is to install them in seperate drive and choose between (windows or Linux) when the machine is booting. Other than that I don't think you can run both simulteously

promtech said:
The only way I know you can use both on one machine is to install them in seperate drive and choose between (windows or Linux) when the machine is booting. Other than that I don't think you can run both simulteously

I didn't ask about the case of ONE machine ..

The situation is as follows :
1- A PC running WinXP
2- A server running Linux
both are on the same network and the PC has access to the server.

The issue is that I want to have a folder on the PC, of which its contents are mirrored to the server as if it's originally on the server. This synchronization process can be continuouse or simply scheduled.

There is also one other option (vise-versa) which is to map a folder from the linux server to windows and work on it from windows as if is a windows folder, yet it's on linux and everything is effectively done on linux.

Any light ?

Why not make a shared partition on your server and make a network map of it on your Windows XP pc?

I have a DATA partition on my laptop (I am running Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux) that is formatted so that it can be viewed when I boot in Windows XP and also in Ubuntu Linux.
So make a partition on your Linux Server that is FAT32 or NTFS and make a network map of it... (ask your admin)

mobile-it said:
Why not make a shared partition on your server and make a network map of it on your Windows XP pc?

I have a DATA partition on my laptop (I am running Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux) that is formatted so that it can be viewed when I boot in Windows XP and also in Ubuntu Linux.
So make a partition on your Linux Server that is FAT32 or NTFS and make a network map of it... (ask your admin)

I'm not the linux admin .. I don't have the root access ..

On Linux try Rsync...or unison...

or a Windows Program called "Second Copy"
and run Samba on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.