Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mysterious equation e^jwt

Status
Not open for further replies.

david753

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
e^jwt

As you know, e^jwt=cos(wt)+j*sin(wt)
I can plot its diagram by mathlab.
And get the result of a sinusoidal.
But, when I try another numers, 2 or 3 instead of e in above equation.
The result is still like sinusoidal.

How to explain it?

j is key point, and j=sqrt(-1).
It is really beyond my imagination.

e jwt

if you visualise the numbers u substitute say 2 or 3 as e^k you will realise that you are just multiplying e^jwt by a constant and hence you are just multiplying a sine wave with a constant and hence will obtain a sinusoid only....

mysterious equation

Well, this question, you are anxious about, is not so strange as it probably seems to you. The explanation of this circumstance is the followin:

1) Remember the main logarithmic identity, studied in the school course of algebra:

e^(ln(a)) == a, if a>0. Now let's apply this expression to your example:

2^(jwt) = e^(ln(2^(jwt))) = e^(iwt*ln(2)) = exp(jwt*ln(2)).

2) Now we simply adjust the Euler formula, which you mentioned, to exp(jwt*ln(2)) and get the following:

exp(jwt*ln(2)) = cos (wt*ln(2)) + j * sin(jwt*ln(2)).

So as you see again we obtained harmonic functions, which represent real and imaginary parts correspondingly. The 90 degrees phase shift preserves, the only difference - is that these functions are scaled (compressed, respectively the x-axis).

It's obvious, that any substitution of e doesn't change the sense.

With respect,

Dmitrij

e(jwt)

When I type 2^(sqrt(-1)) in mathlab, I can get sinusoid figure.

But, how is it souce code?

e^-jwt

well it is just based on the individual function i.e.sqrt and the exponentiation(^)

the code of can be seen by using help.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back