Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need introductory info for learning digital design and VLSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

saeddawoud

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
I need advice how to begin my way in digital design and VLSI. what are the requirements? the best books in the field? the best software to use? and the best language to program with?
Regards

Re: Need help

Digital design and VLSI..
Good idea to choose this field. Start with Moris and mano /Floyd digital design books and slowly start reading Rabey (Author) design concepts. I suggest you to down load Digital design materials starting from Number systems to Designing FSM circuits from different university sites. The best university to download digital design are from Berkley.

Next is, learn Verilog HDL. Veriolg HDL is preferd than VHDL due to many reasons. one is Easy to learn and other is most of the industries are using verilog other than Govt organisations /military organisations.

Soft ware , U wont get best for free . Any way there are free simulators .check it in google..

Best of luck .

Regards,
Sam

yaaa. i aggree you start with moris mano i think black pad will have good information. then start with rabey. if you want to go through verilog side you can refer to samir palnitkar text book. it is best fro the starter users. of verilog.
you can find many free tolls. xilinx will give you free toll you can down load it from xilinx website. ise web pack 8.1 or the latest version. you can use model sim to see wave forms. you can integrate it with xilinx. to observe wave forms.
If you wish to go analog side then you can refer razzavi and alien and holberg. first look at alien and holberg and the n to razzai. you can under stand it more .
after that think if u r interested in front end and back end. in back end you can practice some of the design using some layout tools. i think magic is freely avaliable

Digital design by Morris Mano(For starters)
Digital design by John Wackerly(includes deep concepts and coding)
Vhdl by Perry
Digital Integrated Circuits by Rabaey(Digital vlsi)
Cmos Integrated Design by Razaavi (Analog vlsi)
Tools:Fpga Advantage 7

My recommendations:
Book : VHDL by perry
Language : VHDL
Tool : Modelsim(Altera is now offering it for free)

Well, there is no best language like vhdl or verilog, but I still recommend vhdl
1. because with verilog its easy to get things wrong, espacially if you are a starter
2. VHDL though a bit time taking to learn, is far more powerful, and would not let you do 'wrong' things(you will understand wot 'wrong' things I am referring to when you will have a bit of experience)

My recommendation for the Verilog HDL book:

Book : Verilog HDL ( A Guide to Digital Design and Synthesis )
Language : Verilog HDL

I had go through the whole book myself and i find it very informative and easy to pick up as well.

If you use Verilog HDL, you can use it to code digital block as well as the testbench for testing your digital block.

Hope this help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back