Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux(Intel)(AMD) WNT(Intel)(AMD) Solaris(Sun)fastest ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxboy

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fastest intel hspice

I have run the same the simulation (use nass_da h_s_im2.0) in the Linux(P4 2.4G 256M) and sun solaris(Blade 1000 800MCPU 4GMemory).Linux about 1.5X faster than Solaris.But I want to know Linux than WNT,Who have sampler.

I sorry for my limited english.

linux intel stability

Did you use one of the samples delivered with the installation? Is there are a difference in between the machines for different examples.

My experience is that the samples runs in seconds where my real netlist takes hours to setup and run about a day.

fastest 64 bit linux

I run my real netlist about 80K trans(digital file,post simulation),total run 30days in sun blade1000 and about 20days in my linux pc.

Linuxboy :

Do you think it could be faster using 512MB or 1GB with dual DDR ?
I'm curious about the performance with more data bandwidth, like dual channel DDR 400.

WinNT version have 10-20% faster than linux version for small simulation. And I can't find any different for large simulation.

I'm curious to the simulation running for 20 or 30 days. How many of data will generated 100GB or 500GB. And is there have any meaning to analysis such amount of data.

Unfortunetly the SUN machines are quite slow when compared to thier INTEL counter parts, however INTEL doesnt have 64-bit capability (Excluding Itanium). One can argue that SUN is a better machine but the INTEL/AMD machines are much much faster.

Put it this way when an engineer wants to work at home he/she isnt going to spend £10k-30k on a SUN machine, it will never happen. But we now have for example Opteron which can run 32/64 software with rediculous memory bandwidth and phenominal performance (in SMP mode) for around £3k. Home 3D/MCAD etc.. engineers wont even blink about purchasing an Opteron machine especially when 64-bit linux is ready and Mentor/Cadence have allready ported most of thier 32-bit tools (64-bit in 2004-2005) allready to linux.

What is everyones opinion on this?
Is thier a new market opening up?

KLEOS

Last time I have seen latest Intel was the best among all micrproc . Benchmark was published on http://www.specbench.org/

But Sun's are widely used in enterprise applications , telecomm due to reliable UNIX nature .
Regarding price , there is Sun blade 150
for 1.6 $K . Of course it is not the same as SunBlade1000 or 2000 .
I think , desktop applications , if those are available for both machines , are better to run on pentium based pc , because of speed and price .

I havent checked the benchmarks, but i did see early 2-4 way opteron benchmarks a few months ago and compared to the xeon they pack one hell of a punch considering thier clock speed. For enterprise applications OK you would probably use SUN machines however that isnt what opteron is aimed at. For home engineering applications I think the most sensible option would be an Opteron based machine. I can work and Play.

Yes Sun is slow but more reliable than Intel. This is why, in enterprise applications, professionals use Sun.

Reliable yes and a price tag to match, I understand but for a workstation like the blade 2000 the price difference between a DUAL 2Ghz Opteron is huge. There still using PC100 memory in the 2000 hmmm. Can someone do a performance comparisome?

Any one tested the performance difference using various memory speed,
DDR 266, 333, and 400 in normal & dual channel.
Wondering bigger memory bandwidth help or not.

I think it would depend on your design, if its memory intensive then it will make a difference by how much I dont know. This is assuming your running entirely in RAM and not paging of the HD.

Like Linuxboy was saying above the P4@2.4Ghz with 256Mb was faster then the Blade 1000 using 4GB of RAM. This goes to show that the Intel systems memory performance was so fast that the difference in memory capacity didnt really matter though 256Mb is quite low. The SUN as far as I know is using PC100 memory but I think its interleaved (someone correct me on this) 4 ways to provide more BW. Maybe using 4GB for the intel machine would really be a good show.

Maybe I explain my simulation, It isn't larger(8K transistor). I found that it only use about 80M memory in the simulation, and inter cpu is only 2.0G,so I think the type of the memory no effect the result largely.
Kwkam: I contral the simulation result output, so It only generate very small data.

I don't think sun workstation is more reliable than Intel. Of course we usually meet the pc crash, but do you think the pc work condition is very complex than sun's. We let pc run many type application. EDA software, games and so. I let a pc only use on purity system, only 1~2 applation software. It runs very well. I run a simulation over 2 months.

I could share the results of linuxboy that a stripped down PC w/o all the applications and drivers found normally on a desktop machine is similar in stability to a SUN. Some years ago a PentiumPro200 on NT4.0SP4 runs over 15 month w/o reboots. Now I need reboots only for configuration or powerdown on a Dual Athlon.

The speed of spice simulation seems to depend only on CPUFP performance. If you spent 100 bugs for CPU you get most from AMD. If you could run 2 simulations in parallel Dual AMD seems best.

Is there any benchmark table

Netlist-Simulator-System-Machine ?

I agree with you, I will be purchasing another machine which will be used for games and engineering based work. Now I do not wona go with an INTEL system as I think 64-bit is gona make it big aka Opteron/AMD64. Therefore if I want a 64-bit DUAL CPU machine then the only choice is an OPTERON system period. Itanium I dont think so (no 32-bit compatability) SUN definetly not I dont have £30k to speed on a computer which uses PC100 memory what a joke!!!

Sample Spec, Not cheap but you get performance and reliability.

Tyan Thunder K8W
2x2.2Ghz Opteron CPU's
2GB RAM PC3200 ECC Reg (add more later when needed)
Nvidia 5900 Ultra 256 MB
3x160GB SATA RAID 5 config (add more later when needed)

I was trying to optimize my circuit design about one year ago using HSPICE NT and LINUX versions. In my experience, HSPICE under LINUX runs much faster and shows up fewer convergence problems. I did not benchmark the results systematically, so it is just my personal opinion.

its simple if you want performance go for intel/amd.
if you want the reliability at the expence of performance can be 10 times(probably more depending on apps and config) less depending on applications then go for sun.

All depends on how much £££ you wona speed however note this in my opinion a cluster of 2 Way Opteron systems would provide a perfect balance of price/performance ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.