Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opamp characterization at system level

Status
Not open for further replies.

analog_prodigy

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi friends,

i got one problem.
i have already one opamp, for which i checked gain, ugb and phase margin. everything is fine because i gave 1V ac signal to one input (DC bias voltage at two inputs) and did ac analysis.
now my opamp is used in a big circuit having different blocks like bias, loads, and extra circuitry.
can i do ac analysis of my opamp at this system level? if so, where should i give my ac 1V input ( because the two input nodes are already connected to somewhere in the big circuit)

Please help me in this regard.

Added after 3 hours 40 minutes:

Hi, i got the solution like this.

i calculated the overall capacitance the output node experienced.
i put the same as load capacitance and test it as individual opamp.

i hope the procedure is correct

analog_prodigy said:
hi friends,

i got one problem.
i have already one opamp, for which i checked gain, ugb and phase margin. everything is fine because i gave 1V ac signal to one input (DC bias voltage at two inputs) and did ac analysis.
now my opamp is used in a big circuit having different blocks like bias, loads, and extra circuitry.
can i do ac analysis of my opamp at this system level? if so, where should i give my ac 1V input ( because the two input nodes are already connected to somewhere in the big circuit)

Please help me in this regard.

Added after 3 hours 40 minutes:

Hi, i got the solution like this.

i calculated the overall capacitance the output node experienced.
i put the same as load capacitance and test it as individual opamp.

i hope the procedure is correct

after the ac analysis, you can use the transient analysis to double check it.

the overall capacitance the output node experienced can be used as the load.

but the transient analysis is still neccessary.

you can cut the loop at your op input then add a great r(about 1GOhm) connect them, then add a great c(about 1F) to the op input, give your ac1v to the other side of the cap, then you can run your ac simulation

I think put all capacitors at the output is sufficient but not necessary in many cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.