Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Redhat v7.2 installation HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. In Bios set Boot from CD
2. Linux 7 does not have drivers for ATI 9800
3 Workstaation
4 Automatic may not give you what you want
5 swap = 2xram
6 use partition magic not lilo
7 same as 6

Hi Cin,

5) Based on the PC information, any suggestion for size of swap, /, /usr, /home, /boot, /var , anymore ... ?

As your RAM is not small (2x512M) then maybe you will not need swap at all.

6) Howcome I installed LILO boot loader in MBR but linux fails to boot after finish installation. I've to use boot disk.

There was some limitation - linux kernel need to be located on first 2 GB of HDD, maybe this rule is out of date now...

7) How to configure my system to a dual boot system?
my XP is in Drive C and linux is in Drive D.

If you will make swap partition then locate it before main Linux partition - HDD is more quick on starting tracks than on ending ones.

I am configuring my HDD this way:

/dev/hda1 - FAT16 - 500M
/dev/hda2 - SWAP - 100M
/dev/hda3 - Linux - 3G
/dev/hda5 - FAT32 - ...

First partition is for DOS 6.22 - Sometimes I need it too. Linux kernel is located on first 2 GB, and Windows is after it.

cin said:
After finished my installation, my X windows doesn't work. Seem like my VGA ATI Radeon 9800SE is not compatible with Redhat v7.2 :cry: What am I suppose to do ?? Any good suggestion ??

Does anyone know whether ATI Radeon 9800SE work in RedHat version 8 or 9 ?

I am new the elektorda but i have some exp in linux.
send me the log of the X server.
You can get it from /var/log/Xfrre86.0.log
We will talk from there

Cin ,

You are running X server 4.1.0 check https://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/manindex4.html
the list of the suported drivers and you will not see the radeon. :(

also it looks that X server is taking the driver ati , which is not for ati radeon cards. If there is a radeon driver you can check

1) check if driver is present

[root@node1 root]# ls -la /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ | grep radeon
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 91312 Sep 5 2002 radeon_drv.o

if you did get a line like above it means the driver is there and you have to define it in config file
My system is rh8.1 and it had the radeon driver , so there is no need to go to the latest rh.9 ->

Any whay the solution for you is to upgrade the X windoews to the latest
https://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/manindex4.html check the link and you will
see that radeon is suported in 4.3.0 latest X ..
i am not sure about your chipset .. (check the supported chipset on that page )
If you need redhat 7.2 but need a to run X 11 on the radeon card upgrade the X11 ..
if the prerequisite for you task is not rh 7.2 go to the latest or to the one that supports your card .
If you knoe how to do it good if not then .. it is a longer story
:) but is solvable.

Cin :

I'd like to suggest you use Red Hat 9.0 or latter, since you have too much
fancy stuffs. Though 7.2 is stable as others say, 9.0 works without problem at least for me. You should be happy with a Raedon card, it'll have extra trouble setting Nvidia new cards in Linux.

Another thought about boot loader, since you have 2 HDs and plan to use them in different OS, you can boot them by CMOS setting. I'm curios why your HDs are only 40G as other hardwares are above average ! Have good time with your new machine.

but many EDA tools can't be installed on RedHat 9.0.

here is some advises. maybe useful to you :p
1.you can try config your xserver with a normal SVGA card. maybe it will work.
2. if you want to install the EDA software. you had better have the swap space upon > 2*GB, many EDA eda software need it urgently . especially the synthesis and P&R.
3. i think the EDA software are userland programe and need X server supports. so if the kernel syscalls are same, any versions of linux will be compatible for userland softwares include EDA sws. No matter it is linux release version redhat 7.2 or 9.0. you can try install it on 9.0. Maybe the Xserver gcc ,tcl/tk,perl and so on will be a problem too. JUST TRY IT.
4. left a unformated disk space for linux. and partition it with linux tools.
it will ease your management. and increse the performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.