Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question about alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxElec

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello !

I don't have alternator but before i buy it i need to calculate the power output.

Am going to use the car alternator and rotor that should be connected to alternator is spinning with 70 turns per minute.

How to calculate the alternator output power ?

Max

pl provide more data for calculation.

connect a wattmeter and voltmeter(but some wattmeter contains both)..... vary the load......untill the alternator explodes.....no not quietly like that....untill the voltage drops drastically beyond normal voltage......but i think cars have 12v dc generator and not an alternating voltage producer....

Sorry guys for such long respond, i had some stuff that i have to end...
OK.

This is the idea that i want to use:
Windturbine rotor -> transaction wheel gear -> 55 Amps alternator -> AC output

As you can see there is no battery after alternator.
This is partly because this is just test and because i want to avoid the use of battery in the future. I dont need constant power ( for now ) and for start an satisfied with low power output :). I dont want to use the DC and if am correct i can use the AC from the alternator.

Question is, how much AC output power, at 70 turns/min, can be produced from 55Amp alternator ?.

Max
p.s. if you need additional details, please write down...

there is no definite relation between the two...you have to read the alternator manual for that....but it can be found out practically.....BUT remember power is important and not voltage or current....

MaxElec said:
Sorry guys for such long respond, i had some stuff that i have to end...
OK.

This is the idea that i want to use:
Windturbine rotor -> transaction wheel gear -> 55 Amps alternator -> AC output

As you can see there is no battery after alternator.
This is partly because this is just test and because i want to avoid the use of battery in the future. I dont need constant power ( for now ) and for start an satisfied with low power output :). I dont want to use the DC and if am correct i can use the AC from the alternator.

Question is, how much AC output power, at 70 turns/min, can be produced from 55Amp alternator ?.

Max
p.s. if you need additional details, please write down...

At Only 70 RPM, Almost Nothing for power out.

Typically on a car the altermnator turns at Greater than 2000 RPM, Even at an Idle. Just look at the Car's Pully system and gear ratio as well as your idle RPM.

recently, i had test my 90 amperes alternator. the initial rpm to produce power was 800-1000 rpm. i had test it until 3000 rpm. including the torque data for 15 ampere eletrical load. if you want the data , you can contact me.

i think almost all car alternator produce dc power, so you need an inverter . and if you want to connect the 55 ampere alternator with your 70rpm windturbine, i think you need some multiple stages belt or gear.

but, now, im'm looking the data for 35 amperes alternator. i plan to connect it with my propeller microhydro turbine. Anyone have the data?

I believe almost all modern alternators have 3 built in high current diodes inside them to convert the AC voltage generated be the alternator windings to pulsating DC voltage. You would have to modify the unit by removing the diodes. Then you would have to run 3-phase wiring from the alternator to your load.

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.