Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna directivity problem in HFSS simulation of a circular patch loaded antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

pudding

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Friends,
Recently I use hfss to simulate a circular patch loaded with annualr ring antenna. S parameter is ok, but the directivity is below than 1. I seed the air with lambda/10, and the boundary is lambda/4 away from the radiation element, but the result is same. Anyone can give some advice? Thanks a lot!

The parameter from hfss:

antenna directivity

hi pudding,

Would you mind attaching your model? I want to have a look and take care of it.

Re: antenna directivity

HI nhomuathu_hanoi,
Thank you. I have uploaded the hfss design. And I found that in this case the slot on the ground also radiate, so that means I put the boundary too close to the radiation element( I didn't realise that before, so sorry). After I increase the air box below the ground, the problem solved. But would like to talk with me about this structure? I alsl uploaded the paper. I don't know what element radiate. I think the slot radiate, because when I change the slot length , the resonant frequency move accordingly. But when I change the radius of the ring, or the circular patch, the resonant frequency change to oppesite direction. That means, I increase the radius, but the resonant also increase. It is really wierd. I need your help. Thanks!
pudding

antenna directivity

hi Pudding,

Sorry for my late reply. From your attachment, I thinh you're trying to design either a circular polarization dual or broad band antenna. I agree with you that two slots at ground plane can radiate, in general case any discontinuation can radiate as well. Futhermore, I think, they're major factors that determine your antenna polarization characteristic and resonated frequency. In this stuation, maybe, a couple phenomenon is created between circular patch and two slots, and we can assume the ring as a parasitic element. For this reason, the rule of each element can be explained as the affection that you met.
Another one, I wonder why did you make the air box size so wide (width and length). I think equals to substrate's size is Ok.

Does anyone has some opinion?

Re: antenna directivity

HI nhomuathu_hanoi,
This is a single band cp antenna according the paper. I made the airbox lambda over 4 apart from the radiation element. So it looks a little bigger. Now I can get accurate resonant frequency, but the S11 is about -7db, larger than the paper said. Do you have any opinion? I think the match is not good, but all the parameters are from that paper, except the 50ohm coaxial line. I still don't know where the problems is. I think HFSS should accurate enough to reproduce the paper's result. Thanks
pudding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back