Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC BIOS chip data structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

xuyinghui

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pc data structure

I want to know the structure of the content of PC BIOS chip, i.e. the locations and structures of instructions area、data area and else .
How can I find these information?

the rawest form of this data would be the source code

**broken link removed**

I might be able to provide more information from my Phoenix Technical Reference Manual, which is woefully ancient

Award source code is so complex for me

I'm puzzled about what to start to study.Is there a brief PC bios content discription?
Can you send me a copy of your phenix manual?

my email: xyh@c166.org

I suppose that there is no strict data structure and layout connected to BIOS based code .
If I am not worng BIOS has defined by its standard which clarify interface to BIOS and it is functions . Each BIOS should be specific to the motherboard it is placed on .
General standard for BIOS or at least link could be found from PC guide line .
PC Guide line is couple of standards ruling PC internal architecture . Go to the Microsoft site and begin search . But information is spread over different manufactures (Intel , IBM ...).

Follow links from
**broken link removed**
documents

Finally take it at

**broken link removed**

What I meant is simply to assert my instructions into BIOS chip. So I should know where is the instruction area in BIOS chip. Should I refer to x86 CPU user manual?

there are a number of fixed location data structures in a pc bios chip. the bios id string, the hard drive descriptor table, the compatibilty segment and, i would guess, the plug and play descriptors.

this pdf talks about some of these fields:
https://www.amd.com/epd/desiging/evalboards/14.elansc400/bios/syssoft/manual/ssman.pdf

the compatibilty segment contains jumps to various bios routines and data structures

I don't believe the book i have is worth scanning, it is 12 years old and makes no mention (for instance) of plug and play.

That is a wonderful technical reference for me.
Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back