Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About inout ports in verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

int19

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
verilog inout

Hi!
I'm unfamiliar with verilog so this is my simple question.
my netlist has some inout ports that must function as in ports (but i can't change them) so i've to add a tristate buffer. My code is similar to this:

module top(a,b,c,enable)
input enable;
inout a;
inout b;
output c;

if (enable=='0') begin
a<='Z'
b<='Z'

end
end module

I get this error on ncsim: a net is not a legal lvalue in this context [9.3.1(IEEE)]
I also tried assign and = but it didn't work.
What's wrong?
Thanks.

inout verilog

inout are actually "wire" so you can't use any procedural assignments. You need to use continous assignments.

inout a,b;
input wire enable;

wire a_out, b_out;
wire a_in, b_in;

//output assignment of inout port
assign a = (enable) ? a_out : 1'bz;
assign b = (enable) ? b_out : 1'bz;

//input assignment of inout port
assign a_in = (enable) ? a : 1'bz;
assign b_in = (enable) ? b : 1'bz;

verilog inout reg

i studied that u can ue inout for reg also but how to use it

inout in verilog

hi !
I guess u'll face synthesis problems if u use inout in always block . what u do is u create a temp reg and assign the inout value to it using continuos assignment statement and now u can use the temp reg value in the always block

pls correct me if i am wrong

thanks and regards
Deepak

inout port in verilog

thanks for the help.
I've resolved this problem in a similar way, defining a "mask" which instantiate the module and with an enable IN port and the same INOUT ports of the module.
This way doesn't work with a vhdl mask and a vhdl module, but works fine with vhdl mask and verilog module! It's curiously true...

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back