Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

When I double the width & length of input pair the phase margin changes from 60 to 40

Status
Not open for further replies.

qqic

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When I double the width & length of input pair the phase margin changes from 60 to 40

I design a opamp, when I double the width and length of input differential pair, the phase margin changed from 60 degree to 40 degree,
can anyone tell me the reason?
thank you

op-amp ac simulation with spectre

input pole

op-amp ac

You'd better specify the configuration of your OPamp.
Say,the folded cascode configuration,the Cgd of the input transistor will lower the 2nd pole,thus the PM.

opamp ac simulation

what's type of your opamp?

opamp ac simulation

you had better take other transistor into consideration,it may effect the character of other MOS

opamp ac simulation

the opamp is folded cascode, at first I think it is the cgd of input pair that degrade phase margin, but the cgd is 20f and gm=0.5u, this zero is about 4G and the unity gain bandwidth of opamp is 200M, so the cgd influence is small.
but beside this reason I cannot find other reason,
maybe leakage? my process is 90nm!

thabk you very much!

Added after 1 minutes:

sorry! the gm is 0.5m

opamp ac simulation

cap change, and pole change

opamp ac simulation

the dominant pole is at output,ya,input cgd's influence is small.make sure your dc bias makes every mosfet work at saturate region.and the unity gain frequency is 200M,do you need so large bandwidth?

opamp ac simulation

Hi qqic: I think you increase the w and l of the input transistor, then the input capacitance will increase, so the second pole i.e. gm/c will decrease, so the phase margin become worse!

regard!

opamp ac simulation

Hi all,
I know the reason,when input pair W*L increase, the cds increase quickly! from the DC operation point: cds=72f
cdg=-72.5f
cgd=-10.7f
cgs=-120f

I have 2 questions:
1> why the cdg is minus in DC simulation of spectre ?
2> why cgd is not the same to cdg, and cdg is much high?
3> why cds is much high? in my opinion cds should be very small?

thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back