Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Auto tilting mirrors in reverse, first 555 project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIsleDSM

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
reverse mirrors

I just signed up here, and I've never really worked with any ICs, just very basic electronics, fixed an exploded cap on my TV one time, and some other stuff like that.

This this is as deep as I've ever got, so please excuse my very amature questions.

I want to add auto tilting mirrors to my car, I've seen it on BWMs and Mercs, basically when you put it in reverse the mirrors tilt down for easier parallel parking, and when you can see how far your rims are from the curb, you'll never hit them.

I already have electric mirrors on both sides, and I know there's a reverse switch on my tranny that triggers the backup lights, so it's just a matter of harnessing that signal and creating a ~3 second pulse to lower the mirrors, and then return them to their original position with another ~3 second pulse upward.

I've been reading about the 555 timer because it seems to be very popular. I have no idea if this would be the best way to go.. I was thinking I could use a 555 1 shot with a VR for the RC setup so I could dial in the length of the pulse to lower the mirrors, I'm unclear however on how I could create the signal for the trigger, I'm sure this is all really basic stuff but I've never done anything like this.

There are 2 prongs on the tranny for the reverse switch, I imagine they just close the circuit when I put it into reverse, but how to do I make that into a negative pulse to trigger the 555 to lower the mirrors? Then when I take it out of reverse I think the motors on the mirrors just revserse the polarity to move the other way, I will confirm this soon, but I don't see why it would be any other way.

I read the rules here and saw nothing about posting pics, so I hope this is no problem..

mirrorcircuit.jpg

That's my first time drawing up a circuit, I'm not even sure it's all right.. Now to make the mirrors go back up should I use a seperate 555 timer? or should I use a dpst relay maybe? ..to reverse the voltage with a seperate signal from the reverse trigger? telling it when I was going into reverse (to make the mototrs go down) and when I was taking it out ( to make them go up) I'm just not sure how to appy all of this... any help is much appreciated.

I think this will be a good first project for me, simple and practical, I'm always lowering my right side mirror manually with the switch before I parallel park, I really do want this feature, love those little luxuries.

555+1shot

This has ben up for a few days with 40+ views, I know this is simple stuff, I'm kind of boggled that not 1 person has replied, did I not give enough information or something?

Some help here really would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back