Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rotary encoder physical dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akanimo

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

Attached are pictures of an encoder that I just acquired. The package does not come with a flex coupling nor a mounting bracket. Attached too is a picture of the specifications as presented by the seller.

I have also attached a picture of the coupling and that of the different sizes of coupling.

encoder.PNG

encoder spec.PNG

Encoder coupling pic.PNG

encoder coupling dimension.PNG

I'm having trouble selecting the right coupling size for the encoder shaft. Any help is appreciated.

Once the encoder axis diameter is 6mm, I would choose the coupler with internal diameter specified with 5-6,35mm. The tighter, the lower the chance of future wear problems due to being anchored mostly by the fixation screws, but this would give you less maneuver to fit.

Are the coupling sizes indicating different hole sizes on each end of the coupling.

Once the encoder axis diameter is 6mm, I would choose the coupler with internal diameter specified with 5-6,35mm...

Okay. Please may I ask why 5?

Okay. Please may I ask why 5?

Not why 5, but rather why 6,35mm; that´s because this 0,35mm clearance would allow you to plug the 6mm axis with some easiness if compared to the 6mm-6mm option; not too tight, not too loose.

Are the coupling sizes indicating different hole sizes on each end of the coupling.
Yes they are. I just found the attached photo from another seller's page. They are a group of a lot of sellers sharing the same pattern of presenting specifications.

Encoder Coupling diameters spec.PNG

For the encoder shaft, I should go for 6.35mm, just like andre_teprom had suggested, since the 6mm-bore will be too tight slotting the 6mm-encoder shaft into it. So the other value depends on the diameter of the motor shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.