Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any lenses for night imaging using a mobile camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mail2sc

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have Nokia 3110c, 7210, N72,Nokia 2600C (VGA),and a Chinese MP4 player..I also have sets of Samsung and A Kodak Digital camera but I wanted to know if there is any way to get pix from mobile under low viewing conditions and lighting..

I read in some blogs that a cmos camera can be dismantled and the place where the lens reigns can be attached with an old picture film which will convert the image into IR(Infra red) Pic and which can be useful under low light conditions..

I want to know if the above ways are possible, so than only i can try to pull the camer a off the jacket from my mobile and fix it..

I am a mobile savvy and usually i try to take pics using only through my mobile phones, but i want to try something new..

Kindly help

Mickey

if you remove the lens then you can image at low light condition to certain extent.

a fully exposed film and developed one is suitable for ir.

mail2sc

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
i have removed the lens cover from my old Nokia 3110c mobile and believe me, now its giving so nice pics.. i cant believe that the plastic lens cover was making the pics so lousy...

Thanks for your replly...

By the way can some one please tell me about the prices of new cmos camera for a chinese mp4 of whose lense's wires broke from the ciruit when i tried to pull the cmos cover off..

Please reply.. Thanks and regards..

Mickey

Your above description sounds somewhat misleading. Actually, the suggestions are to remove the IR-blocking
filter from a CMOS camera and replace it by a piece of unexposed color negative film, that acts as a IR pass
filter. The lens (that has sufficient near IR transmission) is remaining in place, no camera can work without lenses
or another kind of imaging optics.

A lens cover (as far as it's made from acrylic or a similar plastic material) can be expected to pass
near IR without problems.

^^ yeah sorry for not mentioning properly...

what i wrote in my previous post was about the lens cover on the top of the phone body(and not the cmos camera)..

I tried cutting the cover in mid of the old chinese mp4 but couldnt do much.. moroever i have lost the camera as the wires supported to the cmos ic was also cracked from middle in this instance.. (hope they can replace it)..

about the ir thing, i couldnt actually know that which section of the camera i have to cut and replace it with the film.. because there are two lenses as i can see.. (one is bigger base convex and the other one being the concave (mounted) on the top of the cmos camera... but what it maybe.. two cameras have lost their lives...

I have cut the lens cover section(of the phone body) and now the camera is naked to the environment, so its more clear now..:D

I must admit, that I'm not sure about all usual ways, IR-blocking filters are provided for CMOS cameras.
But generally, you can expect this:

A color camera need an IR blocking filter, otherwise the color calibration would be poor with varying light
sources, particularly daylight (low IR content) versus incandescent lamps (high IR content).

The lenses itself have no considerable IR blocking. But it may be the case, that some camera modules
have it internally. In the said internet publications, the IR blocking filter is described as a thin window.

Whatever it maybe i have lost 2 cmos camera but no results.

I read something a while back on using IR filter with a webcam as I was thinking of designing a security camera as someone broke into my shed and stole my lawnmower :-(. The website is Infra Red Webcam. There are other hobbyist projects in the internet that employ this method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back