Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Encounter - export layout to Cadence Virtuoso

Status
Not open for further replies.

konx

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
virtuoso encounter

Hi.

I'm here again with a new question :)

I have a complete design in Encounter and I want to export it to cadence virtuoso. Reading on internet and the help, I've seen that I have to export a GDSII file (basically, I can produce 2 file: the outputStream called pixel_output_stream and the Map file streamOut.map).

Now, I'm trying to import these file using File --> Import --> Stream in the CIW window of cadence.

In the Stream File field I specify the path to pixel_output_stream, while I use the map file in the Layer tab that I can find clicking on option (here I can upload the map file).

Obviously I specify even the tech library (cmrf8sf, Arti2009DM and others).

then, I click Translate (I think this command generates the layout), and I receive an error (no write permission)

Is the process correct? Am I missing something important?

Thanks in advance

Francesco.

layout in cadence

Ok, let's be more specific now that I've tried some different things:

I can import the design in Virtuoso, but still the final result is not correct; I have this error:

ERROR (58): Failed to create the new layer purpose pair 'DIEAREA:ALL'. It will be skipped and all the shapes on this LPP will be dropped.

I have this error 163 times, exactly the number of the Stream layer that I can see when I upload the streamOut.map file.

The final result (in Virtuoso) is a design with correct shape and with all the cells (flip-flop, etc...), but with no routing between cells (but I did it in Encounter) and without supply and ground rings (again, I did it in Encounter).

Suggestions?

Francesco.

Object mapping files are missing. this is additional mapping file (Apart from layer map) which require to define DIE AREA & Blockages.

I was wandering if you ever got this to work properly and if so did you half to role your own mapping file? I am trying to translate a design using the ARM library and the ibm 8rf process and having difficulty. When I use the map file from the cmrf8sf directory encounter crashes (can encounter not handle such a large layer map file?). I had a look at the link given and it seems to point to rolling you own map file.
Thanks

Hi,

I have read several threads in cadence community forum and found out that using open access database format to transfer design to virtuoso is easier than using gdsii. Maybe you can give it a try.

sincere,
hairo.

Thanks.
I found that to this afternoon but get erros about:

**ERROR: (ENCOAX-618): Custom via definition for via 'via1Array_3' can not be created in OA, because the technology database is readonly. Connectivity will be broken in the saved OA database for these missing vias.

when I save as OA. I am thinking I may need to run it as root once to add the vias to the techlib? any suggestions

Lastly I do not have any layout or abstract views so it blows away the cells on save. If any one could point me to a step by step guide for OA export would be grate. ie. how to tell it create dummy instances regardless if the cell existed or not so that Mosic can instanteat them before fab. . .
Thanks

Thanks.

Hi,

I solved the problem using OA database.

Unfortunately I cannot help you with the problem you have, for me the entire process (using OA) was easy and smooth!

cheers

Konx.

Hi konx,

I would like to ask you how did you the open access reference libs in design import in soc encounter? Did you do like the one below (using .conf file)?

set rda_input(ui_oa_reflib) { HL45NANDxx HS45NORXX HS45ANDXX ... ...}

where HL45NANDxx HS45NORXX HS45ANDXX ... ... is the folders in the standard cells library for open access.

If not, can you show me how did you do that?

Thanks in advance.

sincere,
hairo

Halo, I did the Encounter design import into Virtuoso using the openaccess database. I get a complete layout view with all instances correct, my only problem is that my routing layers are all wrong, does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks.

**ERROR: (ENCOAX-618): Custom via definition for via 'via1Array_3' can not be created in OA, because the technology database is readonly. Connectivity will be broken in the saved OA database for these missing vias.

when I save as OA. I am thinking I may need to run it as root once to add the vias to the techlib? any suggestions

Lastly I do not have any layout or abstract views so it blows away the cells on save. If any one could point me to a step by step guide for OA export would be grate. ie. how to tell it create dummy instances regardless if the cell existed or not so that Mosic can instanteat them before fab. . .
Thanks

Hello,
I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your problem. I'm new to OA and Encounter and I have the same errors when I save my design to an OA library. It looks like everything is correct, conf file, cds.lib. etc but the error reads:
**ERROR: (ENCOAX-618): Custom via definition for via 'VIAS23' can not be created in OA, because the technology database is readonly. Connectivity will be broken in the saved OA database for these missing vias.

Thanks,
Donna

Hello,
I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your problem. I'm new to OA and Encounter and I have the same errors when I save my design to an OA library. It looks like everything is correct, conf file, cds.lib. etc but the error reads:
**ERROR: (ENCOAX-618): Custom via definition for via 'VIAS23' can not be created in OA, because the technology database is readonly. Connectivity will be broken in the saved OA database for these missing vias.

Thanks,
Donna

Hi Donna,

Make sure that you have the customViaDefs section in your technology file.

thanks,
Chris

Hi Donna,

Make sure that you have the customViaDefs section in your technology file.

thanks,
Chris

Thanks Chris,

It led me in the right direction. My problem was I needed to create the library during the save design stage rather than have an existing library. This created the vias needed for OA. I now need to instantiate this block into my design library in order to keep the vias.

Best Regards,
Donna

Hi Donna,

Do you require the vias to be in the library where you are saving your design? That shouldn't be necessary. The problem is probably that you are pointing to an OA reference library containing digital cells, and not your technology data. I solved this by creating a separate technology file for the digital library, which pointed to the technology library.

Thanks,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back