Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power harvesting using radio frequency energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnest

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
circuit for the project. can any one help with the best parameter values to use for this circuit?

Attachments

• BASIC BLOCK DIAGRAM OF A POWER GENERATION SYSTEM USING RADIO FREQUENCY ENERGY.doc
    32 KB · Views: 72

Whoever designed that is an idiot.
In the first place, to expect 0.58V from the antenna is unrealistic unless you place it directly underneath a high power transmitter antenna, normal ambient RF radiation only produces microvolts of output. Then to put it through many stages of voltage multiplication, each losing about 0.5V means nothing would reach the output anyway. I guess it was designed by someone who imagines the RF power levels around us are massively greater than they actually are and that the power comes from nowhere in the first place. If you want it to work, place it directly underneath your local radio stations antenna. Of course you could just plug into their electricity supply and extract thousands if not millions of times more power for none of the cost!

Brian.

Reactions: arnest

arnest

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Whoever designed that is an idiot.
Without anything said about the intended operation conditions, one may get the impression.

What's the intended operation frequency (I guess, 900 MHz GSM band)?
Available field strength at the antenna? Output load?

The circuit may work in the proximity (e.g. 10 cm) of an active mobile phone or the near vincinity of a base station.

Reactions: arnest

arnest

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I was reading an article about this in (what I'm ashamed to say is now a crackpot "science" mag) New Scientist a couple of months ago. It may be worth hunting that down to get an idea of what is being done elsewhere.

Commercial state of the art systems for "rf harvesting" (like that term) are getting to be really good.

Of course the maximum distances are very small and the returns diminishing
but useful work is pretty close to being of some commercial interest for a couple of the systems described. (Assuming the editor can be trusted - the mag is now high on rhetoric and low on science)

I think good old Tesla had the best idea myself though. Just charge the entire
planet up.

jack

I found the magazine and have attached an informative jpg about
what is currently being achieved (claimed) commercially.
Companies such as Intel and Sony are working on this.

The article is in The New Scientist issue 6 February 2010.

I hope I can get the jpeg attached ok I've not done that here before...

jack

Attachments

• powerHarvest.JPG
    powerHarvest.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 114

I must admit, the scenario looks nightmarish. Fortunately, I remember a number of safety regulations (laser and RF) that strictly prohibit the implementation of the technique if persons are near to the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.