Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADA4870 as a small linear amplifier with single ended VCC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I happen to have one ADA4870 and these devices can greatly simplify amplification without the use of output transformers.
I am interested in building a broadband little linear amplifier from a few KHz up to 30MHz and even 50MHz if possible with this device. Output power should be the in the area of 1-5W at 50R.

It would help me if you could let me know about how much RF power input would cause a 1-5W output?

Now I have found this document https://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/articles/reinvent-the-signal-generator.html which describes the different configurations but the ADA4870 needs +/-20v.
Since I only need a couple of watts of RF power out of it, I wonder how can I bias it for single ended 12v operation?

I doubt it will work well as an RF power amplifier. It is really intended as a pulse power driver for MOSFETs and the likes. It has almost no gain and a very low output impedance so you would need a matching network at the output and to drive it with as much voltage as you need at the output pin. It may not work below the specified +5V/-5V supplies and it WILL run very hot, you need to take special care to bond the metal tab under the device to a good heat sink.

Brian.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I doubt it will work well as an RF power amplifier. It is really intended as a pulse power driver for MOSFETs and the likes. It has almost no gain and a very low output impedance so you would need a matching network at the output and to drive it with as much voltage as you need at the output pin. It may not work below the specified +5V/-5V supplies and it WILL run very hot, you need to take special care to bond the metal tab under the device to a good heat sink.

Brian.

Ok, you saved me lots of time of experimenting with this Brian..
The other alternative I consider is the last circuit from this page http://www.qrp4u.de/docs/en/rf_ampl/index.htm
But this is a single bander. Although the output transformer counts as a rough BPF too, which is good for both reducing harmonics, but it needs switching between bands.
Considering this last circuit, I wonder, can I take the Receive output from the tap point of the output transformer through a coupling capacitor, when the transceiver is in receive state, so that I can benefit from this BPF on RX?

These types of amplifiers cannot reach "W" range Power Levels.There are tons of DC to .. RF Power Amplifiers which are able to drive 5W@50 Ohm
Are you looking for an off-the-shelf RF Power Amplifier ?? Or you would like to build your PA by yourself ??

These types of amplifiers cannot reach "W" range Power Levels.There are tons of DC to .. RF Power Amplifiers which are able to drive 5W@50 Ohm
Are you looking for an off-the-shelf RF Power Amplifier ?? Or you would like to build your PA by yourself ??

I wanted to investigate a transformer-less design and one that would be able to produce 1-5w without lots of components. I knew this was not quite possible, but this IC seemed initially promisable. The article states 16W at some point could it be true?

Simple calculation, maximum output swing for bipolar supply is +/- (Vs - 2V). Calculate undistorted Vrms, output power. Maximum output into 50 ohm is about 3.5 W with +/- 20V. Single supply +12V gives less than 0.2 W. Notice that the datasheet examples are for RL 16 to 25 ohms.

1 - 5 W with 12V supply isn't feasible without transformer.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Simple calculation, maximum output swing for bipolar supply is +/- (Vs - 2V). Calculate undistorted Vrms, output power. Maximum output into 50 ohm is about 3.5 W with +/- 20V. Single supply +12V gives less than 0.2 W. Notice that the datasheet examples are for RL 16 to 25 ohms.

1 - 5 W with 12V supply isn't feasible without transformer.

All right, perfectly clear.
Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back