Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Compare vectors with threshold

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsgil85

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all

i'v 2 std vectors (16 bit wide) and i need to compare them within threshold (4 bit wide).

Code:
enable	 <= '1' when unsigned(DATA) <= ((DATA2)+("0000"&unsigned(THRESHOLD))) and 
                                   unsigned(DATA) >= ((DATA2)-("0000"&unsigned(THRESHOLD))) else	  
		       '0' ;
i know there is a problem on the edges of the vector, for example:

2>= 0-7

any suggestion would be aprochiated

Best
Gil

I dont really understand the problem. Please could you explain what the issue is. Your code sets enable to '1' when DATA is between the THRESHOLD values on DATA2.

NOTE. Why is everything declared as std_logic_vector, and not unsigned? doing all these type conversions makes it harder to read and may end up giving you an RSI.

I dont really understand the problem. Please could you explain what the issue is. Your code sets enable to '1' when DATA is between the THRESHOLD values on DATA2.

the problem is with negative numbers, for example:
DATA = 4,
DATA2 = 2
THRESHOLD = 5

Your problem is one of wrap around. The 2nd compare will wrap around to a very high unsigned number.
Why not used the signed type instead to avoid this problem?

Do you mean somthing like this:

Code:
enable <= '1' when unsigned(abs(signed(DATA)-signed(DATA2)) < ("0000"&unsigned(THRESHOLD)) else '0'  ;

Thats pretty hiddeous. WHats wrong with this:

Code VHDL - [expand]
enable   <= '1' when signed('0' & DATA) <= (signed('0' & DATA2)+(signed('0' & THRESHOLD))) and 
                     signed('0' & DATA) >= (signed('0' & DATA2)-(signed('0' & THRESHOLD))) else   
               '0' ;

Would be even better if DATA, DATA2 and THRESHOLD are signed data types in the first place. There is absolutly no need for them to be std_logic_vectors. Ports can be unsigned/signed.

Hi

i'v changed it so it can do the warp around:
Code:
enable_riz	 		<= '1' when resize(signed(COMPA),COMPA'length +2)   <= (resize(signed(COMPB),COMPB'length +2)  +(signed('0' & th))) and 
								resize(signed(COMPA),COMPA'length +2)   >= (resize(signed(COMPB),COMPB'length +2)  -(signed('0' & th)))
						   else '0' ;

your code is:
Code:
enable   	<= '1' when signed('0' & COMPA) <= (signed('0' & COMPB)+(signed('0' & th))) and 
							signed('0' & COMPA) >= (signed('0' & COMPB)-(signed('0' & th))) 
					   else '0' ;

and the results are:

comp.jpg

What is your question? You have only posted a snippet and a waveform with different signal names to what is in your code.
Please ask a question and post the whole code if you have an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.