Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Help] Solar Powered Speaker with Looping Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdavis1

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I'm looking for help for an upcoming art show me and my friends are putting on. I will first state that I have very little actual electronics experience, but I'm well versed in computers and I have a little soldering experience.

The Project: We're looking to build a solar powered speaker that will go inside of a weather proof box fairly small in size. We would like for it to loop a sound bite of our choosing(it will be very small in size) over and over. And ideally, it would be as cheap as possible so that we can make multiple speaker boxes.

This is where you guys come in.. any help is greatly appreciated! I'm looking for any direction/links/videos/books/kits/guides anything that could help. We have until May to get this project done, but if we don't hit that deadline it's not a big deal.

I've researched a little bit on solar power and building your own cheap solar power from scraps and I think I can manage. The part that I'm really lost on and need the most help would be getting the audio onto a card/chip/memory and installing it. Also help on hooking up the power supply(solar) to the speakers and the audio.

I know I'm asking a lot but I would really appreciate any help I could get. Thank you for your time and help! :)

Hello again. As i said in the other website, you will need quite a lot of solar power to play sound over and over.

This inexpensive product (as seen on annoying TV commercials) records your voice, and replays it each time you press a button. I haven't tried it.
http://www.lilreminder.com/

Maybe you could extract the electronics, replace the battery with solar power, replace the PLAY button with a simple timer circuit, and wire up a new speaker.

Hi,
Solar battreies are costly,do you really need Solar Power, cann't you use a Lead Acid Battery with charger? May be you can use a solar cell for charging the battery if the budget permits. How much speaker power would you need? For low power amplifiers you can use LM383 or LM388 of National Semicnductors. Look for application notes of National if these suit you.
Regards,
Laktronics

echo47 that sounds like something I might be able to do. Anyone have any assumptions on how easy it would be to rewire that device to a new speaker/battery input?

the reason for it being solar is because we're looking for something self sustainable for the outdoors. We were hoping to be able to create it, install it into a location outside and let it run for days without us having to touch it at all.

audio guru I checked the other threads I posted but could not find your reply, sorry. Thanks for the help though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back