Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Accuracy of differential probe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
The Testec SI9002 differential probe says it is accurate to +/-2%. Does that mean +/- 28V? (I am referring to when on the 1:200 range)

Testec differential probe (SI 9002)
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/10524.pdf
....SI9002 is on the 12th page..it says 2%, but does not say 2% of what?

By the way, we are connecting the diff probe to the DPO2024 tektronix scope, and using that on the 100V/div range.....
DPO2024 oscilloscope
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1854407.pdf
.....Accuracy is mentioned on page 8 but not for the 100v/div range.

Its just that we've got a PFC output going up to 440V on constant load and wonder how accurate this is?...(the PFC output caps are only rated 450v, and we haven't got round to doing sudden full-load to no-load testing on it)
We got the PFC made for us by outsiders.

Last edited by a moderator:

The accuracy the probe refers to is almost certainly referring to +/- 2% of what you are measuring. If measuring 1V you can expect it to be within 20mV of the true value where as you are measuring 44V so you can only expect to be within 8.8V.

I don't really know anything about PFCs so I can't be much help there but it does look like you're really pushing the max input voltage of that scope.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The specifications are for relative error of measured quantity unless specified otherwise. It should be noted that particularly oscillscope specifications are rather relaxed, actually achieved accuracy is often much better.

I'm sure that you won't use the differential probe in the 100V/div oscilloscope input range, don't confuse the input sensitivity range with the displayed scale factor reflecting probe attenuation.

T

if you have 3% error in scope and 2% error in probe, then you have 5% total error before calibration with a test signal.

T

I'm sure that you won't use the differential probe in the 100V/div oscilloscope input range, don't confuse the input sensitivity range with the displayed scale factor reflecting probe attenuation.

the DPO2024 has a 200:1 setting, so actually I can use the 100v/div range surely? ( I had the diff probe set to 200:1)

the DPO2024 has a 200:1 setting, so actually I can use the 100v/div range surely? ( I had the diff probe set to 200:1)

Yes, my comment was about your statement
.....Accuracy is mentioned on page 8 but not for the 100v/div range.

The accuracy specification is referring to physical input attenuator settings, not nominal scaling. Do you unterstand the difference?

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back