Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NE567 as Am Fm demodulator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can someone confirm if my understanding is coorect.
Inside the Ne567 there are 2 phase comparators I & Q, you can use the loop filter voltage from these to dermodulate Am and Fm signals, Ok.

Am I correct in saying the Q phase comparator only recognizes shift in frequency rather than a shift in amplitude as its 'looking' at the crest/trough of the wave where there are no changes in time with amplitude mod.
And for Fm the I phase comparartor is able to detect shifts in amplitude as its looking at the zero cross point where a change in amplitude does create a change in time for the zero cross.

Its taken me a while to get the 'hang' if I & Q, I'll be pleased if I got this even just part correct.

You got the function basically right, but you should consider that the chip is designed as tone decoder (on-off switching) rather than linear AM demodulator. The PLL should work as a halfway linear FM detector.

Ok thanks.
Yeah I know the '567 is a tone decoder not a demod chip, I was more interested with understanding the concept of the I & Q sections within the chip.

I think I get this a little better now.
The Q section of the Pll recovers the carrier, and gives a steady unmodulated version of it.
The I section of the chip acts as a multiplier much in the same manner as a switching mixer would, it multiplies the phase shifted recovered carrier with the modulated Rf signal, the loop filter then removes the recovered carrier leaving audio.

Last edited:

I think you are looking for an overly simplistic interpretation of the I and Q signals.
Can I suggest that you look this up on the Internet - http://whiteboard.ping.se/SDR/IQ seems (at a quick glance) to show what the signals are all about, and even show how AM and FM are represented.
Susan

A typical theoretical explanation thanks Sue.
Interesting to see I & Q as a 3d chart.
Looking at the Am modulated I & Q signals you can see why the Pll is needed to regenerate the transmitted carrier.
Mixing it with the modulated signal then demodulates the Am audio.
W2aew has a couple of good vids on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back