Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

No sound onboard for INTEL DG33TL motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

masster64

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I have this motherboard that worked fine until two weeks ago when the sound became squeaky and crackling. A few days later, there was no sound at all. In Device Manager (see attached) the audio card is now shown as having a problem.

First I tried easy things like uninstalling audio drivers then installing them again. No luck. It said the drivers are not compatible with the sound card. But the drivers are the same ones from Intel that I used many times before. Then I tried resetting the BIOS. Made sure the audio is enabled. No luck. Then I used programs that list system information, like Speccy, HwInfo, etc. All of them said there is no audio device on board.

So my guess it is a hardware issue. The audio adapter is Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio [A2] and the High Definition Audio Codec is SigmaTel STAC9271D.

I have posted detailed photos of the board hoping you'll help me pinpoint what/where to measure then advice me what to do next.

Thank you

Attachments

• 2018-09-12_022539.jpg
    2018-09-12_022539.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 20180909_213059.jpg
    20180909_213059.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 20180909_213527.jpg
    20180909_213527.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 20180909_213742.jpg
    20180909_213742.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 169

You tried the usual methods to track down the problem. Is the card installed in a slot? Then it may help to remove the card for inspection and cleaning. All power should be off when you do so. Take precautions to prevent static charge.

Examine all slots and tabs which connect card and computer. Clean contacts as well as possible. To shine up dull tabs a pencil eraser is effective (gentle and thorough).

Reinstall the card. If it still is a problem, then suspect the card's power supply. It is the most likely thing to deteriorate both the audio and electronic communication, yet also do so gradually for a few days.

There is no audio card. It is a motherboard with onboard sound. The photos show it clearly. See SigmaTel STAC9271D chip. I took the photos hoping that someone will tell me how to test if it is the chip bad or something around it, like a voltage regulator for it or similar.

Looks like the IC itself or one of it's support components might have died. You will find it hard to get a replacement and even harder to fit it to the board. Your best bet is to buy a plug-in audio card and disable the original in the BIOS settings. The sound quality should be the same or better than the on-board device can produce.

Brian.

I've tried to use this USB sound 'card' after I disabled onboard audio in BIOS and removed any trace of its drivers. The drivers that came with it didn't install throwing an error in the end: 'drivers not digitally signed'. That message could be a red herring though. My suspicion is that whatever hardware issue there is on the motherboard, that prevents using other sound card.

"Not digitally signed" just means they haven't paid Microsoft to test it, no decent manufacturer would make a product that wouldn't pass 'signing' though.

I don't use Windows but in theory, you can run more than one sound card (I have 3 running simultaneously on Linux here) and they should be completely independent of each other. If you install the USB device and tell the control panel to use it as the default device, it should work, regardless of the condition of the on-board one.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back