Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between compile time, run time and elaboration time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyboman

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i was really never explained the difference between the three. i would really appreciate someone's explanation on what happens during compile time, run time and elaboration time and when those stages take place.

any help is appreciated.

for compile time, usually check design syntax, for elaboration time, usually check connection error, for run time, usually run simulation!

for compile time, usually check design syntax, for elaboration time, usually check connection error, for run time, usually run simulation!

can you elaborate more on what happens during the elaboration time and when does it take place? is it after compile time and before run time or it is before the compile time? also what do you mean by connection error in elaboration time?

The squence is : Compilation Phase -> Elaboration Phase -> Run (Simulation)

I am also interested in this, does elaboration time is after or before compilation time. I think it is after compile time. Is this the time when compiler directives are checked ??

The squence is : Compilation Phase -> Elaboration Phase -> Run (Simulation)

what happens at elaboration time? in your previous post you said to seek for a connection error during elaboration time, what error is it and what does it mean?

Cyboman,
During Elaboration phase, my understanding is the compiled code (took place during compilation phase) will be converted to machine understandable format.

Carrot

hi
in elaboration phase, instantiation and connectivity is made.
sequences is compile > elaborate > simulate

Sounds like gibberish to me

jack

Hi Jack
if it sounds like this to you, it is is your own problem.
But this is the truth.

hi
in elaboration phase, instantiation and connectivity is made.
sequences is compile > elaborate > simulate

i think i know what instantiation means but i don't know what is meant by connectivity? would you be able to give an example of when connectivity is broken/fixed?

Hi cyboman
I asked onw who is working on modelsim QA to get the answer I sent before. However, according to my understanding, connectivity mentioned means connectivity between instantiated components, Checking port widths, checking port existence and so on ...

for connection check , it will check all instance connection and port width and name!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back