Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog fast peak detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

elektrov

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to build analog fast peak detector.
Signal to measure: PPM - 10ns pulses with 250ns repetition (4MHz), amplitude from 10mV to 5V.
How circuit I can use to resolve this problem.
I tested OPA615 but without good results - works witch pulses above 100ns.
I don't need a very high precision and fast response.

Hi,

I tested OPA615 but without good results
Show your circuit.

You want a peak detector for 10ns pulses. 10ns is fast.
So what do you mean with "no fast response"?

Klaus

I do not need a system that responds quickly to changing a single pulse. The system does not have to be precise. An error of 5% is acceptable to me.
Clipboard.jpg
With 22pF10ns pulse
DS1Z_QuickPrint2.png
With 1nF 10 ns pulse
DS1Z_QuickPrint25.png
Circuit understands amplitude - where is the problem?
Clipboard01A.jpg
With 1nF and 500ns works.
DS1Z_QuickPrint15.png

The 22 pF waveform doesn't make sense, something is apparently not working, wrong diode type, supply voltage range, whatsoever.

Please give complete information, actual circuit schematic, used parts, probed nodes.

What is NOT shown in your waveforms is the actual sample/hold signal. It may be that the timing is a few ns off.

With wide pulses, this may not be a problem. However, 10 ns is fast, and the s/h pulse requires to be timed very precisely, and considering the propagation delays.

Show the waveforms you including the s/h signal.

What is NOT shown in your waveforms is the actual sample/hold signal. It may be that the timing is a few ns off.

With wide pulses, this may not be a problem. However, 10 ns is fast, and the s/h pulse requires to be timed very precisely, and considering the propagation delays.

Show the waveforms you including the s/h signal.

I'm using OPA615 as a peak detector witch aplication note circuit. I don't use s/h signal. In my circuit pin 7 "HOLD CONTROL" is not connected.

Hi,
I would like to build analog fast peak detector.
Signal to measure: PPM - 10ns pulses with 250ns repetition (4MHz), amplitude from 10mV to 5V.
How circuit I can use to resolve this problem.
I tested OPA615 but without good results - works witch pulses above 100ns.

How about using 2 x LTC6752 in a pulse stretch / one shot circuit as illustrated in datasheet?

c0x

Status
Not open for further replies.