Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Bandgap Reference - OTA feedback connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearhuhu

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I am trying to understand the feedback connection with the OTA in band-gap reference. The following is the circuit i am using now: shot.png

Can anyone please tell me why the branch in which BJTs in serial with the resistor is connected to the positive port of the OTA, not the negative one?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Joya

In the architecture that you have shown, there are effectively two loops. One through just a single diode and other through a larger diode in series with the resistor R3. One of the loops will be in positive feedback and other will be in negative feedback. To obtain overall negative feedback for stability, you need the larger gain path to be in negative feedback. Now, the two branches carrying I1 and I2 currents can be thought of as common source amplifiers. If the load for the common source amplifier is larger in the I2 path, then gain of that common source will be higher and you have to keep it in negative feedback. Hence that branch will be connected to the non inverting terminal of the OTA as the common source path provides an inversion.

Reactions: erikl

erikl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you so much Rakshitdatta!

I did some simulation to find out the effective resistance of the two loops. It turns out that the loop with a single diode has larger resistance before Va=Vb, after the intersection point, the loop with parallel diodes and a resistor has larger resistance. Now it makes sense to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.