Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3-digit 7-segment LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karali

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody,
I have a specific question to the following challenge:

There are seven resistors (R1, R2, ... , R7) which have one common node. Now I cut through those resistors depending on the desired binary code, e.g. when I cut the resistor R2 and R3 I get the following binary code: 0000110 with MSB = R7 and LSB = R1.

Now there are several solutions to read those values out. The simplest way is to measure the resistance of each resistor with respect to the common node with a multimeter. Since this is very impractical, I would like to contact those contact points all at once using eight contact spring probes and display the binary code as a decimal number using three 7-segment LEDs.

Now what would you recommend? I first started with a truth-table and then I wanted to simplify the problem using KV diagram until I noted that it is very extensive when you have seven input-variables... I already googelt and found out that when you want to use more than one 7-segment LED you have to mupliplex the whole circuit using a microcontroller, several logical building blocks, etc. and then you also have to program it.

Aren't there easier ways? e.g. only by using a 7-segment decoder and some logic gatters?!

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Karali

You need a way to convert binary numbers into BCD (binary coded decimal).

With BCD each decimal digit occupies 4 bits (a nibble). Each nibble goes up to 9. The next increment causes the BCD digit to return to 0, and generates a carry to the next nibble.

Say your resistors all transmit a '1'. In binary this occupies 2 nibbles as:
0111 1111

This number is decimal 127. In BCD this occupies 3 nibbles as:
0001 0010 0111

Each group would go to a 7 segment LED display.

You will need a very elaborate network of gates to make such a conversion.

Here is a schematic which will translate binary 0 to 9 to the 7-segment LED display.

To expand this to 3 digits would be an enormous task.

Discussions at other forums frequently advise using a computerized chip (pic, etc.). If you want to avoid this, there is an IC called the 14553 '3-digit BCD counter'. It will count up to a number between decimal 0 and 999, and display it as 3 digits, multiplexed.

You would send a clock signal to its counter, as well as a binary counter, simultaneously. You would let both run until the binary counter matches your 7 resistors. The 14553 will have duplicated this same value encoded as BCD, and will display it on your 3 digit LED display.

Status
Not open for further replies.