Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Edit component to use different footprint in eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunakde

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Here is what I am trying to do.

I want to use the XC9536_44 symbol from Eagle's library [is has a PLCC-44 footprint] with a PLCC-44S [through hole type] footprint from another symbol.
And save this as another component, say XC9536_thru in another library.

How do I go about doing this in the symbol editor?

You can create alternative footprints for parts that use the same symbol - would that achieve what you want? If you do it correctly then you can change packages in the layout without changing the schematic.

You need the footprints and symbols to be in the same library. If you are starting with a part in a standard library it is a good idea to copy it to another with your own name first. You can then copy an alternative footprint from another library.

To create the alternative footprint for the part, I will have to do this from memory. When you have the part selected in the library, at the bottom right, in the area where you define the connections, you should be able to 'add' I think it is called. This allows you to add a package and give it a new suffix such as ADL or whatever the part suffix in the new package is. You will then need to define the connections for the new package.

Keith

Reactions: slytobuk

shaunakde

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

slytobuk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back