Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] ATMega 2560 with FTDI and Arduino MEGA bootloader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anj

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone,

I am planning to make custom ATMega 2560 board with Arduino Mega 2560 bootloader on it.
for programming purpose I am thinking of FTDI FT232R for USB to UART.
This was in Earlier Arduino Mega board Though it was with ATMega 1280.

My question : Is it possible to Program a ATMega 2560 (with preloaded Arduino Mega 2560 bootloader) via FTDI FT232R chip using Arduino IDE?

The reason behind my question is, I have never seen any Arduino Mega 2560 board using FTDI chip for USB to UART purpose, (If anyone knows such board please point me) all there out are either using 16U2/8U2/CH340G.

Please Guide me.

Thanks.

Arduino IDE was originally made to communicate with the original Arduino brand MEGA2560 board, which uses the FTDI chipset, so I can't any issue on that question. Anyway, by installing the appropriate driver on the desktop side you can deal with any USB chipset.

Reactions: anj

anj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Arduino IDE was originally made to communicate with the original Arduino brand MEGA2560 board, which uses the FTDI chipset, so I can't any issue on that question. Anyway, by installing the appropriate driver on the desktop side you can deal with any USB chipset.

Thank you andre_teprom for your time,

was original Arduino Mega (with FTDI) used ATMega2560 ? I couldn't get any link on arduino site. I searched and found that it was ATMega1280. Please post if you have any link. That will be very helpful to me.

Thank you.

I meant that the original MEGA2560 board was made with the FTDI chip, not the CH340G chip, so answering your question, there shouldn't have any issue regarding to your initial question:

The reason behind my question is, I have never seen any Arduino Mega 2560 board using FTDI chip for USB to UART purpose, (If anyone knows such board please point me) all there out are either using 16U2/8U2/CH340G.

I have one 2560 board from the italian Arduino brand using this FTDI chip, and obviously works fine with the Arduino IDE, once it is the same manufacturer of the board.

Reactions: anj

anj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.