Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clarifications - ltc4020 buck/boost battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

BS_MANI

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am new to this Forum,

I would like to clarify my doubts here about LTC4020 Buck/Boost Battery Charger IC.
I have designed and developed my own prototype of battery charger board as per LTC4020 reference design and BOM. The board is fine, I have tested with 3 cell battery charging with 12V input fine.

I want to clarify myself -
1). How to keep the IC in Buck mode or Boost mode
2). If it is automatic mode - how to configure the IC pins for different types of inputs and different cell batteries(upto 14 cell).
3). Please give me your valuable explanation of this IC working procedure and configurations.

Regards,
Mani

I believe all the explanation is in the 40 pages datasheet.

A buck/boost converter is changing the mode according to input and battery voltage, nothing to configure.
You'll select circuit parameters for charging voltage and current, see datasheet.

Thanks FvM for your reply,

One more thing I wanted to ask here,
I am interfacing stm32f405 micro-controller to enable the LTC4020 IC, at the same time I am measuring the input voltage and current & Battery voltage and current through the microcontroller by using Op-amps then sending all the data serially.
When LTC4020 configured for 3 cell battery & input is also equal, I am getting all the data in serial port properly, and battery also charging
When input is above the battery(3 cell), the LTC4020 is stepping down the voltage also battery is charging, but microcontroller is giving junk data serially.

Can any one help me, where is the problem??

Thanks in advance
Mani

Hi,
Any one is there to help me out??

How LTC4020 works(mosfets behaviour)??

Looking forward for your kind answers.

Mani

Hi,

I agree with FvM.

Did you read the datasheet:
From your post #1:
Answer to
1) Datasheet, Section "Operation", page 17
2) section "pin functions", page 10. Section "Output voltage programming", page 21
3) Section "Functional overview", page 16ff

There is no other/better source of information than the documents that the manufacturer gives.
They give that datasheet. With sufficient information for your questions. And they give the "design note DN531" with additional infromation.
All this is available for free on their web site.

It makes no sense, that we read the datasheet for you and post it´s contents here in this forum.
Read the documents on your own.

But you are welcome to ask dedicated questions, please refer to pictures and sentences of the datasheet that are not clear to you.

Klaus

Thanks for your replay Klaus,

I will not do the same mistake again here.....Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.