Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

basic query about real time operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

adi_rage

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the exact difference between "rtos" and normal operating system like windows,linux etc?

I don't know much about this as i haven't worked on it..
But i can tell you something i know..

You are using RTOS Do you know this..

Your cell phones having OS is in reality an RTOS.
Like Symbian, Android, etc etc..
They are used to handle Mulitasking and some more extra feature on a Micro-Processor or Controller..
While OS is highly advanced then RTOS.
If you know something regarding RTOS then pls share.
as i am much more interested in this

what is the exact difference between "rtos" and normal operating system like windows,linux etc?

The key difference between general-computing operating systems and real-time operating systems is the need for " deterministic " timing behavior in the real-time operating systems. Formally, "deterministic" timing means that operating system services consume only known and expected amounts of time. In theory, these service times could be expressed as mathematical formulas. These formulas must be strictly algebraic and not include any random timing components.

Many RTOS proponents argue that a real-time operating system must not use virtual memory concepts, because paging mechanics prevent a deterministic response.

read following threads for more differences
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/108833/
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/135721/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back