Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote programming ,read back and default program setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

afz23

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a task to remotely program frequency selection bits of a RF transmitter.
The transmitter provides a 16 bit selection pins interface.I accomplished this task by
making a serial to parallel bit converter circuit using some general purpose digital ICs .
I send a 16 bit frequency select command along with clock and enable pulses.This works
just fine.But my supervisor is asking to put some more features in this project.
1.read back for the set frequency bits,to check if the bits are correct or else send the frequency select bits once again in case earlier frequency bits were in error.
2.To have a default frequency selection bits set,which must be selected on just turning ON the transmitter,but these default bits can be over ridden by a new 16 bit command.

I am open to use a microcontroller based solution
I will be even more pleased,if some one suggests a non microcontroller based solution,as I am not very much familiar with microcontrollers.

Thanks in advance

Obviously using two microcontrollers would work.

But, you could use an approach using shift-registers and latches. You would have a transmit shift register and a receive shift register at each end. Something like this:

1) Set enable high.
2) Shift data into receive shift register.
3) When enable goes low, transfer the SR data to your transmit SR.
4) Clock data out of your transmit SR.

You would have to figure out the details: clocking, etc.

But, since your supervisor is paying for you to do this, it might be a good excuse to actually learn about microprocessors.

Obviously using two microcontrollers would work.

But, you could use an approach using shift-registers and latches. You would have a transmit shift register and a receive shift register at each end.

Thanks Barry

I have time constraint to implement this,it would be great help if you can give some reference of similar application or at least explain with block schematic for both microcontroller and latch based approaches.

Maybe you should first make a block diagram of what you think this should be. And maybe a flow chart.

Without thinking too hard, I’m imagining a loadable SR whose load pin is driven by a power-on-reset signal. Basically what you want here is a UART. How do you presently handle the data in? Is it ok that the frequency select bits are changing every clock cycle as data is shifted in? If not, then you’ll need to put a latch between the SR and your xmitter.

Hi,

I agree with Barry.
Currently we just know "16 bit" and "remote".

But nothing else.
It's your job to collect all the requirements.
Voltages, distance, timing, power supply...flow, what's the source of the bits, what's the target of the bits...and so on.

The more detailed your informations, the faster and the better is our response.
(And - we do this for free, thus it's more motivating when we see your own effort)

Klaus

It seems that if the requirements are going to grow, then a microcontroller is probably better way to go. It is much more flexible, easier to use, smaller AND cheaper overall.

- - - Updated - - -

I suggest the Arduino Pro Mini Atmega328. Along with a development environment - which are usually free - and Usb programmer dongle, you're good to go.

- - - Updated - - -

PM me if you need further help

Status
Not open for further replies.